Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

rifle elk tips

mixedbag

I may head back to Wy. for a quick 2 day rifle hunt.I just got home from an archery elk hunt.I know some of their bedding areas, and how they were traveling in mid Sept.Never tried a rifle hunt before for elk.What would be a good plan hunting on public,heavily hunted, ground.The bedding areas were within 1/2 mile of the roads.Should I get in farther and allow hunters to push them deeper?Or hope to get a shot early on during there normal routine.Thanks for any advice

To be honest, I have never killed an elk any later than 9:00 am in Wyoming. I've seen plenty of other hunters bust 'em out of the thick trees they are bedded in after that, But seldom do I hear a single shot.

If you are hunting one of the units that opens in Sept for rifle, you can still chase bugles. In October if it gets overcast and cooler, the elk seem to travel a little later. My tactic has been to find 'em first, then adapt and attack...

Good hunting.

Thanks,its an Oct hunt.Little worried about the bedding area so close to the roads.Guess I'll hang out by a great trail I located they use to get into the bedding and hope no one else shows up.If someone does, it'll be time to use that adapt tactic you mentioned.I'll have to go over some maps and make a plan A,B,C and D

Bulls should be separated from the cows by then. Go back to where the bulls were in August and look for them around there. In September all the bulls have on their mind is cows. By October all they are interested in is getting enough food in they gut to get them through the winter. They'll be away from the cows and doing little more than eating and sleeping. If you can get high early and watch the elk coming back to the bedding area you'll see what the pickin' look like. Then you go to the Adapt-a-plan action.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back