NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Rifle Coatings

Bambistew

Anyone coated a rifle DIY? I'm looking at GunKote, or possibly Duracoat. Not opposed to rattle can either, but want to have decent protection. Any other options?

I've access to a bead/sand/soda blaster to clean up the metal. Its a stainless barrel and blue action. The action is the new "cheap" Remington that will rust by just looking at it.

Wtf?

Kimber not good enough anymore?

Never tried a DIY coating but lots of smiths can bake on a ceracote

Wtf?

Kimber not good enough anymore?

Never tried a DIY coating but lots of smiths can bake on a ceracote

Found a good deal on a barrel/stock combo that I couldn't pass up... I'd like to get a Talkeetna, but would rather spend the money on Super Cub time. I've been needing another 375 since I parted with my last one a couple years ago.

I read conflicting stories about Ceracote. Most think its a step above Duracote, but behind GunKote? I have no experience with coatings so I'm unsure.

The difference really is Cera and Dura can be sprayed on, and GK needs to be baked on.

Smiths want $250-300 to coat one here. I can do it for $25-40 materials. I think I'm going with GK, but just wondering if I'm wasting my time and should just a $4 can of Kylon and call it good.

Sorry, no experience with the DIY gun coatings, but I will say I spent the money ($135 ish) and had my x-bolt done with the Cerakote. So far, I have been very happy with it and wish I had done it sooner.

I'd think anything that requires heat to cure would be 'tougher' than an air cure, then again I'm often wrong. Dyna-Tech's Bore Coat and and Gun Shield have gotten good reviews, but I'm thinking they are not as permanent as you'd like. Another type of coating that may be of interest to you, but it costs about the same as what you posted for a gunsmith there to coat would be a hard chrome finish.

Then again, Phil Shoemaker's famous Old Ugly has a SS barrel and blued action. He's used it on the Penninsula for years and just keeps reapplying the Krylon which attributed to the rifles name...

I've used KGI Gunkote 2400, duracote, and Ceracote.

Duracote is OK but not a big step up from good spray paint, it is a 2 part coating and kind of a pain to use, also has a short shelf life.

Ceracote is a 2 part paint, goes on good and can be used on wood and plastic (lower cure temps for these) but must be baked on, also found it to be a pain to mix and use, have heard bad things about their customer service and it is really expensive for what it is.

Gunkote is what I prefer, very easy to use, just shake the can and airbrush it on, also priced right. It cures very hard and has held up very well on the guns I've done with it. It can't be used on plastic or wood (cures at 325 F). I've called them a couple of times and have only good things to say about their customer service.

Edit for Bambistew:
Ceracote needs to be heat cured but at a lower temp than KGI. Ceracote cures on plastic/wood at 150-170F and metal needs 250F.

Last edited:
Anyone coated a rifle DIY? I'm looking at GunKote, or possibly Duracoat. Not opposed to rattle can either, but want to have decent protection. Any other options?

I've access to a bead/sand/soda blaster to clean up the metal. Its a stainless barrel and blue action. The action is the new "cheap" Remington that will rust by just looking at it.

...Vias or Verde pattern?

I did duracoat with the 2 part aerosol spray and I'm really happy with the results after 2 seasons of abuse. Its as easy as degrease a ton with brake cleaner and then alternate spraying light coats and heatgun application (hair dryer) 5 times. This was done to a Remington SPS with the mentioned awful finish. You can pretty much take it down to bare metal with (2) $3 cans of generic brake cleaner.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Found a new shop in town offering Ceracoat at a very reasonable price. Will probably go that route.

I think I'll pass on the queyou patterns. :D Once you go black...

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gatrophyhunter
Back