Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Rifle carrying rigs

Osvidar

Saw Big Fin's rifle carrying rig on Heli Access Elk Hunt episode. Need to get rifle off sling when hiking with pack. What was he using for 'underarm' carry? Alternatives?

I switched to the Kifaru Gunbearer this year, might as well toss all of my other slings after the first day!

Note- Make sure that your current pack has a stiff waistband. It doesn't work well with wimpy packs.

I use the Kifaru gun bearer and Stone Glacier version. I prefer the SG slightly if it works with your pack platform. I no longer carry a sling on most mountain hunts. The Kifaru is prone to falling apart but parts or field fixes are cheap.

I like the Stone Glacier version, but I've never tried the Kifaru. The Stone Glacier one goes behind the shoulder like a normal sling. The only thing that takes some getting used to is sitting down with the pack on with the rifle attached. Getting the rifle off your shoulder and ready to fire is just as fast as a normal sling, but I have to take the pack off to get the rifle re-attached. If you practiced on it or had a buddy with you, you could re-attach it without taking the pack off though.

A hunt partner had the Cabela's Safari rifle sling.

I will have one before next year.

images

Sytes, my buddy uses a sling similar to that he has from the Army, was a M60 sling I believe. Seems like it would be tough to use that with a pack.

It's a Kifaru Gun Bearer. I have one and I love it, although the under-arm carry does take a little getting used to.

http://store.kifaru.net/gun-bearers-p30.aspx

We have used them for years. It only took a couple hundred yards of hiking and I switched mine to having the scope facing forward - no more under the arm scope hindrance and no more taking a little getting used to.

Sytes, my buddy uses a sling similar to that he has from the Army, was a M60 sling I believe. Seems like it would be tough to use that with a pack.

I agree, I used this sling this year for both my Antelope and Elk hunts and it was very difficult to use with my pack on, then add in the bino harness and it was a mess. I think it is a great sling if you are only carrying the rifle but perhaps it would be wise to borrow one and try it out before getting one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back