Rifle Build Questions

I had a #2 on an HS precision stock and it did not look good at all because the gap was so large. My gunsmith recommended I get a Lilja #4 contour fluted (this would be similar weight as a #3 unfluted). I wanted the #3 fluted but my gunsmith told me it wouldn't look as good. My buddy has this exact configuration, #4 fluted, and it does look sharp. I should have pics of mine in a few weeks.

Last edited:
I had this 260 built 2 years ago 700 trued, edge stock, bartlein #3 at 24" 1-8,5 twist, old style rem trigger. I get 2960 with 130 Bergers. The 260 was built by GAP and my last two I've had moon at crescent customs do. Both have done a nice job.

I added a APA bottom metal and really like that system. This set up weights in at 8lbs 5oz with talleys and the 2.5-10x32 nightforce(19 oz)

Build wise I would probably flute the 3 for a better balance and maybe look at a 6.5 creedmoor as if you don't want to reload hornady has some great factory ammo for the creedmoor. I would have went with a PTG 1 piece bold instead of having the factory bolt flutes and knob added, cheaper and better product.

I like the edge stock but for me I had to go with extra low rings to feel comfortable with the cheek weld. I now have a McMillan hunter with edge tech on order for my next build, raised cheek and nice palm swell.

If you want it for you bear hunt buy a factory synthetic SA ADL off of eBay for $30. Drop your metal in, inlet if needed, then bed it with Plast Aid. http://www.plast-aid.com/
This stuff will adhere to the stock where other bedding compounds won't on the cheap synthetics. Shoot a bear, pull the stock, give it to someone that needs a youth stock. Put the McMillan stock on and smile.

That's another option, I had a 700 in an SPS stock. Because I like to tinker around I rented a pillar bedding jig, and pillar bedded the action to the very cheap SPS stock and bedded it with Devcon.

The rifle shot well to begin with, but groups tightened up and were consistently sub-MOA after I pillar bedded it.

Looking around a little. I think I will be able to find a stock that will bolt on if I can find a set of BDL bottom metal and then I can turn around and sell it once the McMillian gets in. I might not have my featherweight rifle for the hunt in May, but it will be close.

I had this 260 built 2 years ago 700 trued, edge stock, bartlein #3 at 24" 1-8,5 twist, old style rem trigger. I get 2960 with 130 Bergers. The 260 was built by GAP and my last two I've had moon at crescent customs do. Both have done a nice job.

I added a APA bottom metal and really like that system. This set up weights in at 8lbs 5oz with talleys and the 2.5-10x32 nightforce(19 oz)

Build wise I would probably flute the 3 for a better balance and maybe look at a 6.5 creedmoor as if you don't want to reload hornady has some great factory ammo for the creedmoor. I would have went with a PTG 1 piece bold instead of having the factory bolt flutes and knob added, cheaper and better product.

I like the edge stock but for me I had to go with extra low rings to feel comfortable with the cheek weld. I now have a McMillan hunter with edge tech on order for my next build, raised cheek and nice palm swell.

Nice looking rifle! GA Precision seems like a good builder. I took a little bit of a gamble with mine, but in the end was able to talk to a couple guys who had their rifles and they had nothing but good things to say. Nice buck too, BTW!

Looking around a little. I think I will be able to find a stock that will bolt on if I can find a set of BDL bottom metal and then I can turn around and sell it once the McMillian gets in. I might not have my featherweight rifle for the hunt in May, but it will be close.

I'm almost positive I have a set of BDL (metal, follower, box and spring) if you want it in the interim. I can confirm when I get home, has a couple of dings but it'll get you by.

I'm almost positive I have a set of BDL (metal, follower, box and spring) if you want it in the interim. I can confirm when I get home, has a couple of dings but it'll get you by.

Aweful neighborly of you! I might take you up on that. McMillian owes me a call back on whether or not they can put a rush on my stock since it is for a trip this spring. Either way, I think the .260 is coming bear hunting! :hump:

why not just buy a forbes production rifle and if it shoots you are a winner and if it doesn't then you are into it about the same and you have a trick action and excellent stock

I got my barreled action from the builder and the Cerakoting done, so I thought I would post a few pics. I am now just waiting on McMillian to finish the stock and this badboy is going to be ready to go.
NWAW 260 1.jpg
NWAW 260 2.jpg
NWAW 260 3.jpg

You have a primo stock maker right up there in MN who turns some beautiful stuff if looks are a factor. He does lots of Mausers but must surely do Rems also. Here's an example of his work on a Mauser stock.

Attachments

• Stock.JPG
    Stock.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 614
Don't know his last name, only know him as Dave. I'm waiting for him to respond to a PM on another forum and will ask him or try to get a link. I don't know if he has a web site or not, but should since he's in the business. Nice as your action is, I was thinking it would be a capital offense to put a ceracoated action in an expensive piece of wood such as that, but even I scrub up pretty good if I put on nice clothes.

Edit: Pulled up Ahlman's and am pretty sure they are too big an operation, so Dave must be a one man band. That Ahlman's looks like quite the operation, wish I'd known about them when I used to frequent the upper Midwest.

Last edited:
I have to give a big thanks to Schmalts, not only did he give me a great deal and quick shipping on my Leupold 3-9x33 Ultralight CDS for this rifle build, but also an excuse to take a break from my Army Advanced Operations Course schoolwork (part of the command and general staff college; like graduate school for the Army)

It is coming together nicely, now its time for McMillian to come through and let me get this thing completed.
photo-2.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back