Caribou Gear Tarp

responsible atvers...do they exist?

BuzzH

I'd say they do, but those "very few" who arent really are causing a lot of trouble.

Conservation groups, motorized users offer differing views on forest recreation
By BRETT FRENCH
Gazette Outdoor Writer

There are more than 180 miles of unauthorized roads and trails along the Beartooth Front and in the Pryor Mountains, according to the Forest Service.

"We're trying to check that," said Tom Highberger, resource assistant for the Beartooth Ranger District.

The agency now estimates there are more than 110 miles of user-created roads and trails in the Pryor Mountains and more than 70 along the Beartooth Front. With the creation of the roads as well as dispersed campsites, there has been damage - the spreading of noxious weeds, injury to plants, increased soil erosion, deterioration in water quality as well as vandalism and damage to archaeological sites.

Under orders from the regional office, the Custer National Forest has issued new travel management proposals for the Beartooth Ranger District and is seeking public comment on the initial document until May 1.

"Our goal is to eliminate off-highway travel and slow down the proliferation of new roads," Highberger said. "We're concerned about road densities and adding miles to the system that we can't maintain."

An environmental proposal

Highberger's comments should be music to the Eastern Wildlands Chapter of the Montana Wilderness Association. For years the association has lobbied for greater protection of the Pryor Mountains.

But in its own travel proposals, the group says the Forest Service has not gone far enough. Instead, the Eastern Wildlands Chapter would like to see the creation of four nonmotorized recreation areas in the Pryors. Four main roads would provide access, but large blocks of land would be closed off for nonmotorized use only.

"A lot of the Pryors is still accessible within one mile of these roads," said Paul Sneed, president of the Eastern Wildlands Chapter. "We're providing for access to much of the Pryors, we're just advocating that you don't have to have 200 miles of roads in the Pryors. It doesn't stop the use of motorized vehicles. We're just saying no more off-road travel."

Here's what the group is proposing: The first nonmotorized area would be on Big Pryor mountain, including slopes down to the plains. The second would encompass Bear Canyon to the south of Big Pryor Mountain, separated from it by a continuous loop road that comes up Stockman Trail and then bends east and south back to the lowlands. Third is the Lost Water Canyon region, containing roughly the same boundaries as specified in the wilderness bill that passed the U.S. House in 1994. Fourth would be the Punch Bowl nonmotorized area, a patch of land located north of Dry Head Overlook.

According to the Wilderness Association's vision statement, "With the exception of a carefully limited number of travelways designated officially open for administrative or permittee purposes, all roads now located within the NMRAs (nonmotorized recreation areas) would be closed and ultimately reclaimed to their natural state."

"We're not trying to be greedy," Sneed said. "We're recommending 70 percent be nonmotorized use."

He said that's generous considering that polls have shown 80 percent of the American public prefers to participate in nonmotorized activities.

Right now, the group says the opposite is true - 70 percent of the Pryors is open to motorized use.

I don't have an ATV, but will buy one for me and one for my son in the fairly near future. I would have no problem whatsoever with being restricted to certain areas or to existing approved dirt roads. I have a large 4x4 truck, (an F-350 4-door) and it is too big and has too wide a turning radius to use on many roads, so I would simply use the ATV as an alternative vehicle and leave the truck in camp.

When we had our hunting lease, that is the way we used them with the occasional exception being a really big boar on the grazing land if it was not wet and the tires wouldn't tear up the ground. In the hills, we had to haul them by man power to the closest dirt road. If the rancher had caught us busting a trail, we'd have been kicked off the ranch.

I have no idea how it is in other states.
I do know about Idaho (the places I use)
There is abuse,and there are area's that could and should be off limit's.
Most of the riders I know have no problem with the NO OFF ROAD riding.
Most have been supportive of the fish & game ATV restrictions.
I happen to think they should go to no off road game retrieving if they have the no off road riding in place.

On the other hand ,I also know of some environmential groups that are using false advertizing to promote there ban on ATV's & motorcycles .
I told these groups at the time I saw there false advertizing that I thought it was wrong.
If the abuse is so wide spread why did they have to use pictures of the off road motorcycle/ATV park with statments saying this is the abuse we want to stop.

I'am not going to try to convince you that there are those of us that do not abuse our riding area's ,that we don't hunt off of our ATV,don't chase down game blah blah blah because I understand some people do not want to believe it.
So I will just say I know people that ride and promote responsible use.

The more we talk up good clubs that promote responsible use the better off we all will be.

The ATV rider's are no different then the people that shoot sign's or get drunk and drive--they should be delt with harshly----but I won't support a ban on gun's or drinking,or on ATV's.
The statement that all gun owners or drinker are slob's is no more true then the blanket statment many of you try to label ATV rider's with.
It only brings up wall's when we should be building up the abilty to work together to take care of problem's not create more.

MD- Good post, and I agree with most of it. Especially the part of no off-road travel for game retrieval. If you're willing to shoot it, you should be willing to pack it.

ATVs should be regulated and put under the same scrutiny of my truck.

Then ban "all" gov`t agency`s from using ATV`s offroad ! I have seen BLM/Forest sevice/Game and Fish etc. all using ATV`s offroad.

I went to Malta Mt, to shoot prairie dogs, our group stayed at the Little Rocky Mountains State Park campsite by Zortman, MT. I witnessed egregious misuses of this state park's policy, by off road use of ATV’s. This group of riders didn’t hunt, they were out to have a good time, and a good time they had. These ATV riders went wherever they pleased; trail posted foot traffic only, didn’t matter, posted as equine only, the same! I witnessed travel in areas off-limits to all motorized vehicles, including no trespass areas period. Due to this total disregard to posted policies by non-hunters, how do you expect the public to believe hunters aren’t the cause of this misuse?

Ken :cool: :D ;)

There is one kid in this town that I know of that doesn't seem to understand where the bounds are. He tells stories of being in places that he isn't supposed to be in. I do frequent these places from time to time on the off chance he happens to be there. I don't think we will have to worry about his escapades for awhile, he is going up on drug charges, and it looks to be quite awhile. These people don't live inside of any laws, and no one seems to give a rats hooy what they do. These are the individuals that need to pay for their ignorance, or the rest will pay the price...

I have seen a lot of responsible ATVers. The sad part is that there are many more morons on them than good people, that have ruined it for the rest of the ATVers. It is sad that this has hapened, but the ATV community is in shambles and I see nothing but bad continuing. The bad ones have done a lot of damage and have ruined a lot of valuble real estate and hunting land. The abuse of the land is not only from the ATV, but also from the motor bikes, mountain bikers and horses, but mainly from the use of a motorized vehichle.

The Blue Ribbon Coalition has been talking about "education of ATV owners" for years and it hasn't amounted to anything yet. I doubt it ever will. Actually, I think the BRC just winks at all the misuse and isn't really serious about stopping it. If they were they'd push for tougher penalties, which they never do.

"Where's the picture of md loading her antelope on the ATV?"

Ithaca, are saying I'am doing something ILLEGAL?
If you think the picture is illegal it's your duty to report me.
With all the big talking you do I'am suprized you haven't.LOL

Could it be like alot of other stuff you spout off about ?
All LEGAL stuff that you get your (Panties in a Wad )over because of your agenda to close off public lands to most use?

Suck a party pooper you are,I was very proud of that antelope , I was hunting alone and was able to spot it, stalk it ,field dress it ,get it to my ATV and loaded on & back to camp where I skinned it washed it and had it ready to put the game bag on by them time Steve got back to camp.
My first all alone from start to finish.

I know it's not much to a man like yourself ,But the question I have is what difference would it of been had I used my truck to haul it with instead of the ATV?????

Originally posted by Muledeer4me:
Most have been supportive of the fish & game ATV restrictions.
I am :confused: ! It appears that Ten is against the Fish and Game restrictions, even planning to withold funding to F&G. And MD says that ATV riders support the restrictions.

Which is the TRUE voice of the ATV crowd?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back