Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Resizeing question

Rooster52

Bought some once fired 270WSM brass a few days ago. After full length sizeing they are still hard to turn my bolt down.Some are impossible . Have adjusted my dies up and down with no difference still tight bolt. What can I do ?

I had the same issue with casings fired in a Savage bolt. Some will not fit in a Remington. I think the bolt face must be a bit different or something. All that I could do, was to just use the ones that worked in the Remington and use the rest in my Savage. I am not sure what the exact problem is, but you are not the only one that has had this happen. This may occur with other brands of guns, also, but I have no experience with them.

Also, if you are crimping the bullets, try one or two without the crimp. Could be the case length is a little long and/or crimping is causing a slight bulge in the case somewhere (neck or shoulder) when you seat the bullet.

Last edited:
full length resized brass will grow in length, sometimes far enough the case mouth hits inside of the chamber, also some times the full size die hits your shell holder but will not move the shoulder back enough, redding or rcbs sells shell holders that are shorter, so the case goes farther in the die, or you can use a flat surface and some 400grit and sand down the surface of the shell folder

To begin with, back off your sizing die so there is an 1/8-1/4" (or more) off the shell holder; then, lube your case and FL size it.
Check and see if the empty case chambers. IF IT DOES, bring the your sizing die down a little more, say about an 1/8", then repeat process.

What I think is happening is that your sizing die is too low and pushing down the shoulder of your case,
which causes a bulge at the shoulder making it too wide.

Personally, I full length size all my brass (except a couple of pistol cartridges) for best accuracy, then trim to insure case mouth squareness.
Some cases stretch more than others, which I think is related to the shoulder angle. For instance, a 280 AI case stretches very little if any,
while the the 280 Rem stretches each time the case is fired; and the 7x57 stretches a lot more than the 280 Rem.

There is a tolerance in the size of the chamber. If the brass was fired in a chamber that is marginally longer than yours, you will have to fire form the brass to your chamber and it still might never fit properly. it's always best to buy new brass and only reload for the rifle it's originally fired in.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back