Rescinding national monuments-here we go

If ever there were litmus test for "Theodore Roosevelt" Republicans, the Antiquities act is it. Roosevelt's signature legislation will be attacked mercilessly in the coming years. The Hosue has tried repeatedly to gut it or rescind it. Including many R's who say they support public lands.

Time to hold them accountable folks. Get your armor on.

And Jose - best one yet.

Yep Ben, I just saw R-Mike Noel has put his name in for BLM director followed by several other full bottomfeeders.
And so it begins....one nick at a time.

Fallin, Noel, others will be problematic to work with. Hopefully the agency staff will be able to work within the margins to keep things from going off the rails.

Thank god for Bureaucrats.

Liberals love national monuments and real hunters never get to enjoy doing anything but looking at them. Gee! We REALLY need to protect more public land as national monuments, so that you long-haired, sandle-wearing, granola heads can go sit on a rock a smoke dope. Friggn' amazing.

Liberals love national monuments and real hunters never get to enjoy doing anything but looking at them. Gee! We REALLY need to protect more public land as national monuments, so that you long-haired, sandle-wearing, granola heads can go sit on a rock a smoke dope. Friggn' amazing.

Well this has taken a turn straight down the toilet.

Without pulling out the map to confirm... isn't the most coveted Bighorn tag in the world in atleast partially- a national monument?

Educate yourself. Read a Proclamation.

Without pulling out the map to confirm... isn't the most coveted Bighorn tag in the world in atleast partially- a national monument?

I bet if you had a way of sorting bighorn harvest by land ownership in Montana, National Monuments would be in the top 2, possibly number 1.

I packed meat put of that national monument this year, I guess I shouldve been a real hunter and just looked at it.

...real hunters never get to enjoy doing anything but looking at them.
'Sounds like another radical imagined conspiracy against public and private property rights. It's a false assertion. A prime example refuting that cynical sound bite is the Upper Missouri Wild and Scenic Waterway Monument in Montana, where you may target shoot, hunt, fish, hike, and recreate in many ways. For the hunter willing to go there, the huntable wildlife is in abundance and includes many trophy class animals.

Certainly, if the national monument is a historical site in the middle of an urban area there is likely a safety concern about hunting ... and why would you even want to hunt there? The opposition rhetoric criticizing the protection of special places in this country is typically based on false assertions and fear mongering about losing some imagined right or privilege ... which often doesn't exist in the first place.

Personally, I would like to see more places protected so my progeny may enjoy the privileges I have experienced as an outdoor recreationist and hunter.

Evidently you missed the memo on other threads where I've told people to act adult when making their point, or pack their shit and go elsewhere. Comments as ignorant as that one you just made is a perfect example of how to make your password invalid here.

Strange because the VERY monument he wants to reverse allows hunting, camping, shooting, grazing, and ATVing on almost two million of acres. I hope you're joke is just more sarcasm, because if not you are absolutely clueless and out of the loop in every way as to what you posted. National monuments are great when planned in a good way.

Last edited:
I hunt on a Nat. Monument locally at times,if I get the tag.
My hair is a little long & gray,but don't wear sandals.....I do sit on a rock at times tho.

I don't get to hunt the National Monument behind my house, no hunting permitted. I'm nowhere near an urban area and the monument has abundant wildlife. It just happens to be administered by the NPS and they run it similar to a NP. I'm generally OK with it though, as the monument boundary is small enough to protect the geological treasures and it is surrounded by BLM that I can hunt. However, I can't hike with my dog there either, and that really sucks. There are a number of backcountry trails that go from the desert floor to the top and are great training hikes. Leash/no-leash, does not matter. no dogs. :(

I truly hope that Trump and his staff accomplish some positive goals during their term. Some folks seem to believe that open anger and hate is now acceptable....thanks to the site owner for squashing this notion.

I don't get to hunt the National Monument behind my house, no hunting permitted. I'm nowhere near an urban area ...
My post was intended to generalize the difference between the smaller, more urban monuments versus those much more expansive. It does appear the protected area you describe is relatively small. Although it contains trails and wildlife you would like to take advantage of, I respectfully suggest that you view it as an area to be protected from such use and enjoy those areas which are open to do whatever you wish.

Rhetorical question: Do we really need to hammer every piece of ground just because it's convenient, we want to, we think we have the "right"? ... and it's a great trail for my dog, right now today ... it will still be there in some condition in the future ... "they" can worry about it then. ('Seems like one has to be an old grandpa curmudgeon such as I before realizing the "they" of the future is really an extension of the "you" of now.)

I'm OK with the hunting restrictions, as I noted in my post. Coincidentally, I think my post also answers how I feel about your rhetorical question. Even though the restrictions are such that Colorado nm is of little use to me personally, as a recreational resource, I still support the nm designation to protect the geological resources.

However, I also wanted to provide some contrast in this discussion based solely on my experience. Our perception of nm lands is based on our personal experience with them. The overwhelming experience conveyed in this discussion is that nm lands are open to hunting. That's not always true, even in rural western Colorado. I tend to be hesitant to support new designations because of this.

I also think rescinding previous designations is insane. Period.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back