PEAX Equipment

Rental Truck Experience

Eprevost_tec

Howdy,

Last year my hunting partner and I drove from Ontario to Montana for a rifle elk hunt. In total we lost 4 days of our two week trip just getting out to Montana and coming home. On top of that, we got some pretty heavy snow during the first days of the season, causing us to find tire chains (which we over paid for due to last minute searching) to help out over the winter tires we already had on the truck. I have to say, driving in the mountains, especially through the snow we saw was a totally different experience for us.

Hoping that COVID restriction calm down, we would like to head back to Montana next year to try our luck again. However this time we would like to fly from Ontario to Montana and rent a truck or 4x4 vehicle to support our hunt. We mostly back pack hunt for 4 of so day stretches with short hotel stays in between.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with flying and renting a truck for the mountains and off road hunting purposes. What kind of tires can you expect on those rentals, do you purchase chains, any tips or advise in case of bad weather, etc. I am a bit nervous about this plan because here in our area, the rental companies dont give you much more than the garbage tires or equipment that the trucks typically leave the dealerships with.

Thanks in advance for any advise or tips you might have.

I usually rent a truck when I go to Alaska and the tires are standard factory issue. Nothing aggressive at all. BUT, this is from one of the majors at the airport. A separate rental outfit for trucks and jeeps would more than likely have them set up for your purpose. Do a rental search for the town you will fly into and see if an "off-road" type of rental place exists.

For hunting I wouldn’t rent a vehicle. The tires you get with rentals are utter crap. That said, I do rent a truck when going summer scouting. Just did that this past August again in Montana. To no surprise, the truck they gave me had crappy stock tires that I wouldn’t ever dream of using in fall on NF lands.

My new F150 was in the shop for 5 weeks (thanks Covid) and I needed a rental for archery season. The tires were standard highway. I didn't feel easy in it at all. Even if you get their rental insurance, there are clauses for abuse, which pinstripes down the side might be that. Also, no tow package on it.

My new F150 was in the shop for 5 weeks (thanks Covid) and I needed a rental for archery season. The tires were standard highway. I didn't feel easy in it at all. Even if you get their rental insurance, there are clauses for abuse, which pinstripes down the side might be that. Also, no tow package on it.

I remember flying from CA to AZ for business followed by an archery hunt. having been a year since I was back in my favorite spot I thought a rental car would do the trick for the most part. Upon landing I found an off airport RE at site with brand new 4X4 Jeep Cherokees. So the guy asks me if I was hunting or going off road because I had an aluminum bow case and lots of gear. I said they were work supplies as I was a manufacturers representative. I didn‘t lie but didn’t tell the full story because it was work that year getting a javelina. Guess that explanation worked. Fast forward to the hunt. No way would a car have gotten me into the back country. I had trouble even with a 4X4. Late the first evening I couldn’t even find the Jeep after chasing pigs all day. Too funny now but not so much back then. After hiking to several hill tops and pressing the panic button on the key fob I heard the Jeeps horn. After the hunt the Jeep was a mess and with closer inspection this brand new fire engine red Jeep had massive desert pinstripe Down both sides. I stopped at a hand car wash and paid two guys to run a polisher down both sides with compound and wax. At the right angle you could still see the pin-striping but it looked way better. I was hoping the $40 investment would pay off and it did. The rental guy said it was the cleanest return he had ever had, lol. We both signed off on the paperwork and I beat feet getting out of there. Abuse naw I didn’t think so. No pig that year and no charge for a new paint job. I considered it a success!

I've rented several trucks for hunting trips. That being said, I'm never comfortable taking one back some of the forest roads, etc with the tires they have on them. I had planned on taking my truck to Wyoming this year but I had it inspected a couple weeks ago just to make sure things were ok and they weren't. The mechanic seems to think that the transmission may be going out because he noticed a whine that sounds like the pump is going bad. I can't hear it myself but I have trouble hearing certain types of noise. The boys at work said they could hear it. Anyways, I'm going to have to rent a truck for our trip. I just hope the forest roads of the Medicine Bow aren't too terrible.

The the bumper on the last rental I took elk hunting cost me about $1100. Good Luck!
Been there! Since then I have always purchased every ridiculous "insurance" plan they offer and that my personal auto insurance offers. I've returned trucks that rubbed trees (hard), wrinkled front bumper from a ditch slope, blown out front grille from a deer impact, spiderwebbed windshield from rocks etc...never paid for a penny of it. Im not intentionally rough on them, but those trucks are rented to be used as tools just as my truck is a tool.

The tires on rentals are indeed crap, we got a Blazer in Billings once and went to the ranch where we were staying. First day we did some scouting and covered some rough terrain. we woke in the morning to 4 flat tires, at least no bent rims. The rancher was kind enough to take the tires to town where we found the sidewalls had been subject to cactus spines and rock tears making them unrepairable requiring 4 replacements. I have had to wash mud off rental vehicles but this was the first time I bought new tires.

Damn we have taken rentals in places they were never designed to go, or in fact permitted to go without invalidating the insurance, I often wondered if they fit them with GPS trackers?
But like others, tires are crap, luckily we didn't do any damage (that could be seen!) so didn't have to pay any penalties.
Cheers
Richard

I have rented 4X4 vehicles for hunting in the west. I always tell the rental agent that I'm going to check the tires, and will be right back is I don't like them. I have refused as many as 4 vehicles at one rental transaction. While they seldom have the type and quality of tires that I run on my trucks, I at least want new "all seasons" that generally come on the rentals. We have also rented trucks from off-airport agencies that rent vehicles with more aggressive tires.

Check out Turo. Its a private vehicle rental app/website. Prices are better than rental cars, and you can find just what you want, to include a beat up 4x4 that the owner will let you tear up all you want.

I think this Tacoma cost me $75/day plus taxes etc. It was 2010+/-, had new bad ass tires on it, and climbed mountain passes at the speed of smell when loaded camp, and elk and a deer, but functioned perfectly for what we needed. If the guy knew were it went, he probably wouldn't rent to me again. :) Luckily mountain pinstripes don't show to well on gray paint.

20181107_105534 (1).jpg

Thanks all,

Looks like I have some research and thinking to do.

I hated wasting so much time travelling for the hunt. Wasting 4 days of a 10 day trip to driving is a bit frustrating.

Thanks

Eric

I'm not sure I'd risk trying to rent a truck from one of the major car rental places. You may request a 4x4 truck but end up getting a Kia SUV or worse a 2WD. Your options will be limited in MT.

Ive rented many times from avis and run through the mill from missouri to wyoming. Never had a problem. felt better than taking my junk.

I'm not sure I'd risk trying to rent a truck from one of the major car rental places. You may request a 4x4 truck but end up getting a Kia SUV or worse a 2WD. Your options will be limited in MT.

This is something that bit my group in the a$$ last year. We booked a suburban through hotwire at a smaller rental place that was scheduled for a pickup after one of the guys got off work on a Friday evening. When he gets there they "upgraded" us to a luxury unit (infinity QX80) for free. Of course we needed the space but had zero other options at this point and we planned on leaving within a few hrs. Long story short, 4 of us had to ride from PA to Omaha with gear on our laps, numerous phonecalls into corporate, a lying rental agent in Omaha who tried telling us they didn't have a bigger truck and pretty much no recourse because we used hotwire and not the rental company directly for payment.

Would I rent again, yes, but I'd utilize a lot with a large inventory to be sure they had what I reserved. Also, if they pull the bs about not having what you reserved don't be afraid to check the lot yourself to make sure. Thats how we were finally able to get what we needed.

One year my truck was in the shop when it was time for the annual Kansas deer trip so I rented a Ford Expedition. Tires were crap and we go stuck several times. By the time we were done the inside was as muddy as the outside so I told my son when we got home to Oregon he'd have to help me clean both inside and out so we wouldn't be charged any kind of cleaning fees.

Fast forward and we're 20 miles out of Boise and the expedition gets a serious shake/shimmy in the front end. Pull into the Boise airport and I told a young guy at the car company what was going on. Nice guy put us in a brand new suburban that we continued to drive back to Oregon. Never had a chance to clean the expedition inside or out and never heard a word from the company.

But, the tires were total crap.

1602005785929.png
1602005809224.png

I once heard nothing parties like a rented tuxedo. I have heard that rental vehicles are outstanding hunting rigs because of the low guilt factor.

Sounds like there are some options worth considering. May your plans work next year and you have more time in the hills.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back