Removed

I started buying points for some western states 4 years ago. Montana being one of those states I have 4 points for Elk-B. I use to hunt and I see some units 4 points I can draw some I need more points. Looking for a unit with lots of public land. Any advice on some units to look at for next year would be great! Thank you.
I can't get GoHunt to even give me specific selections for Elk-B tags. Keep in mind that while what FoodisMemories said is true, it aint that simple. Simply finding a lot of public land might not help if the elk aren't there when you want to hunt. The Montana legislature wants to kill elk more than any state EVER, so that should help your cause. Still wrapping my head around you are buying bonus points for Elk-B, but whatever.

I can't get GoHunt to even give me specific selections for Elk-B tags. Keep in mind that while what FoodisMemories said is true, it aint that simple. Simply finding a lot of public land might not help if the elk aren't there when you want to hunt. The Montana legislature wants to kill elk more than any state EVER, so that should help your cause. Still wrapping my head around you are buying bonus points for Elk-B, but whatever.
I come from a state that I will never hunt elk in that is why. Not to mention the money should go to a good cause. I have received great advice from other residents in other states. I guess when they say Montana residents are the least helpful/friendly towards non residents they are accurate in that statement

I come from a state that I will never hunt elk in that is why. Not to mention the money should go to a good cause. I have received great advice from other residents in other states. I guess when they say Montana residents are the least helpful/friendly towards non residents they are accurate in that statement
Trying to help. Where is 555?

Don’t worry about it. I’ll do my own homework. I’ll get on FWP and look deeper into the data. Thanks
GoHunt descriptions are usually pretty good. Narrow it down and post a specific question. I think I get where you are going . People here will help (minus FIM) if they think you did some work on your own. Some of those areas are tricky.

Thanks for the great advice.
I’m sorry you feel that way. I heard Wyoming was the worst.
2:3 of these folks don’t want to find elk, where they wouldnt want to kill elk. So they instead say— they’re not there.

If I knew more about the listed units I’d help more via PM..

I wasn’t trying to be an arse.. I was being serious. Don’t let anyone deter you. They are here. Good luck, and nothing but the best. I’m sorry if I came back coarse, but it’s the truth….

GoHunt descriptions are usually pretty good. Narrow it down and post a specific question. I think I get where you are going . People here will help (minus FIM) if they think you did some work on your own. Some of those areas are tricky.
Oh thanks! I’ve helped more than one here, find public land with animals. Have you? Or do you just tell them all they’re wrong and Montana hunting sucks, Steve?

Hey I didn’t mean to start a fight on here. I appreciate what you two have said so far. I need to refine my question. I will get on FWP. I need to look at tag and harvest ratios. Then cross reference with public land. I just don’t know if they show private vs public kills. I will do my homework and make a new thread in the future. Thank you

Oh thanks! I’ve helped more than one here, find public land with animals. Have you? Or do you just tell them all they’re wrong and Montana hunting sucks, Steve?
More the latter. :) It's more fun. If your idea of help is "There is elk in every mountain range, every national forest in MT." then I would say you haven't helped much. My comment was in jest, Jeff.
I just don’t know if they show private vs public kills.
They don't. That was actually one of my recommendations for the new Elk Plan. Harvest data generally sucks.

If you believe that Montana FWP is a “good cause” then you have a lot to learn about elk hunting in Montana.

If you believe that Montana FWP is a “good cause” then you have a lot to learn about elk hunting in Montana.
Be grateful for what you have. At least you can hunt elk in your state every year. I’m not saying they are perfect nor defending them giving tags to guides and land owners. There is obvious corruption. My money hopefully will be used for access yes and other access projects as well.

Be grateful for what you have. At least you can hunt elk in your state every year. I’m not saying they are perfect nor defending them giving tags to guides and land owners. There is obvious corruption. My money hopefully will be used for access yes and other access projects as well.
I live here. I fill tags every year. I get to hunt a lot and it’s hard. Whitetail guys: Remember when you realized that there wasn’t a 150” in every woodlot? When you realized that there might not even be one in your county? That’s elk hunting in MT. One day you realize what it takes to kill one on public. And you feel silly if you are honest about your expectations before this realization.

I have helped two guys get bulls this year. Id put conservatively the real net cost of each of those bulls at over $10k. When you include the cost of the tag, trans, lost wages, stock, feed, etc.

If I didn’t live here, I would never invest the time/money to hunt elk.

The problem is that it has become something it isn’t.

Here is a thought experiment for anyone thinking about hunting elk.

If there was no new gear to buy, no tv shows to watch all year to keep you pumped, and if the elk had no antlers, would you be willing to spend 10k to run yourself in the ground to go elk hunting? $50/pound. Think about that.

How many days would you chase anything if there were no antlers? Elk are about antlers.

Also, there are a lot of old fat guys that kill bulls every year in blue jeans. It ain’t because they keep hammering.

Full disclosure, I hunt my ass off for antlers.

One more anecdote: picture below is from last night. 8 bulls, three miles from a road, private access. Bulls are 200yds on the wrong side of the fence. Shared it with the landowner. He showed it to his son in law. At the moment, I’m writing this post instead of hunting those bulls. Son in law decided he wanted to go hunting.

P.S. he’s a guide for a huge ranch where the majority of elk go in September when the pressure hits. All their hunters tagged out early, hence his free time to go hunting.

I love Sour Grapes, I mean elk hunting.

Attachments

• 0A333A9E-537D-4E7A-813B-71C135A9B4FB.jpeg
    0A333A9E-537D-4E7A-813B-71C135A9B4FB.jpeg
    200.7 KB · Views: 26
I learned this year after two weeks of chasing elk on public land in montana how tough it is.

Back