Removable antlers

Ndw06

Years ago I saw a European moose mount that had detachable antlers. I have no idea if it was a real skull or a fake one. I have a couple of moose skulls that are a pain to move and have been looking for a taxidermist that can do this but haven't been able to find anyone. Has anyone else done this? Or know a taxidermist that can do this?

I have a Greater Kudu with removable horns. Easier with horns, I expect. The work was actually done in Africa and shipped to my dad. The Kudu packs smaller than his Gemsbok, which has fixed horns.

I got an elk shoulder mount that has one removable antler. I can put up pictures tommorow if interested in seeing how the taxidermist set it up.

There's a way to do it involving short metal rods that you can look into. Your taxidermist will have an idea of how to set it up.

I have spoken to two taxidermist that where not interested in doing it on a European mount if you have a taxidermist that knows how to do it in the pacific northwest will you post thier contact info thank you

My uncle in ND is just finishing up a moose shoulder mount with detachable antlers. He said it is a pain in the butt, but boy is it convenient.

I have a moose shoulder mount that has the antlers pinned (removable). The square pins (inserted in the antler bases) slide into square receivers that are glued inside the form. I'm not sure if the receivers could be set into a skull without being noticeable, but it would be worth trying. It does make a huge difference when moving or shipping.

It works great for mounts because you have hair around the base of the antlers/horns to hide the cut bone. For a skull mount you wouldn't be able to hide the cut. The horns are attached using male & female square tubing.

My taxi here will do them (I know it does you no good), but it can be done. I'm sure its a giant PITA though. I've done an elk and a caribou, and it wasn't easy to get them to sit right. I have a set of moose I want done, but haven't pulled the trigger, mostly because I have no space for a 70" moose. They are done exactly the same way they are done on mounts with hair to "hide" them, square pins/sleeves. I've seen them with 2 pins per side as well. The taxi can sculpt and paint the pedicle to match up to the base of the antler, its really hard to see where they meet if done well.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammerg
Back