MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Remote controls shooting news.

Tom

My neighbor made the news, big time. I heard it was on the TV today too at another forum.

A handicapped person can sit next to this gun set up and hunt with it, is what he's hoping. Right now, people can target shoot a 22, with his dad as an onsight manual override person, from the internet.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/11/16/life.hunting.reut/index.html

Its a new invention, it will generate new laws, to make sure its not abused, but I think it has some applications.

Here's the proposed new law news, posted by Scott Thrash, the owner of deertexas.com today at his sight:
(TPWD is Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept.)

"Just spoke with David Sinclair in Law Enforcement at TPWD. He explained that TPWD is introducing the following language at their annual Regs meeting:

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------
"Prohibition of hunting by remote control. This issue centers on the use of Internet technology as it relates to the taking of wildlife resources.
------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------

This will apply to all native game including furbearers. It will NOT apply to exotics & hogs.

The regs meeting will be held on Wednesday, January 26th at 9:00 a.m. After the meeting, there will be a 30 day period set aside for public comment via their Website. Finally, there will be a public meeting in Austin on April 7th at 9:00 a.m. I plan to be there with bells on!! "

I have a gun that operates off two 24 volt motors to control elevation and wind age that is controlled by a joy stick or bight switch at my house. I have a picture of a man that has now movement from his chin down to his toes that killed an antelope with it. There is also a video camera scope that allows for unlimited eye relief and the ability to show the sight picture on a screen. This allow for low vision and other types of impediments. This internet thing is ok but with all the other gadgets and technology out there each individual can do the hunt in person and really enjoy why each of us hunts.
Olefish

Huting via internet negates everything we as hunters supposedly stand for. We talk about getting out in nature, being in the field, taking our part in the cycle of life and death, carrying on the tradition, food gathering, etc., etc. Hunting by remote via the internet is nothing but killing, plain and simple. It is none of those things that make hunting grand.

I have no problem with using technology to help disabled people hunt, but I do believe that they need to put out some effort, too. Like Olefish said, the technology is there to let the hunter be there in person, and that's where he should be. If they want to kill from the comfort of their computer, there are any number of PC games available.

I think you can learn a lot, by watching game more, more often, with one of those camera setups.

You should walk a mile in their shoes, I mean crutches, leg braces, or wheel chairs, etc. then come back here and say what you think from your high horse position.

Spend a day with a handicapped person hunting, then come back and say what you think. Get their wheel chair out of the mud, hold them up, hold yourself up, in the mud. Get their foot out of the mud, see the look of fear on their face, while you, some stranger, try and get them to a good spot to hunt, through just a little mud.

Then come back and tell me what you think of the potential for this to help a person like that! Just one day, that's all I think it would take.

Didn't you just ask, if you could count points in the fantasy game, w/ the use of this thing??? Now it's only a thing for the handicapped, right!? :rolleyes:

More fuel for the anti's, is all this thing is. What does it take for you guys to realize, it ain't hunting! IT's shooting!! And, that's what makes the rest of the non-hunting world look down on us!!! :mad:

Say what you will, Tom, it's still just killing. Yes, they can watch wildlife via the camera...I've no problem with that. But shooting it via remote control from miles away? Come on. And spare me your sanctimonious BS about dragging them through the mud and blah blah blah...you have no idea what I will or won't do, nor what I have or have not done. It sounds like you feel more sorry for yourself than for them.

The bottom line is that I don't go to the woods simply to kill stuff, and I hope you don't either. I would also hope that these people want to experience the real thing and not just blast critters in a live-action video game.

D-gib is absolutely correct on this one.

If you want to work with dis-abled hunters, you can put them into a duck blind or a goose pit and get them shots at live animals. I tailor hunts for people with all sorts of physical conditions, and that just puts more challenge on me.

I have a buddy with ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) that still likes to deer hunt. I assure you, neither he nor I would ever stoop to an Internet set-up for hunting. He already knows I will drag any animal off a mountain that he whacks, and when the day comes that he can't get up the mountain, he knows that I will drag him UP the hill.

For goose hunting, he is switching to a "hay bale" blind, as he can't get up and down out of a pit. And if that blind scares every goose out of the field the entire season, but still allows him to get out in the cold dark mornings and HUNT, then that blind serves its purppose.

It is not about killing, it is about HUNTING and being outside. :)

I am no expert but I have guided at least 25 persons with physical and mental impediments/disabilities as a friend Some we took to the shade because of the heat and others had to be covered by sleeping bags to protect from the cold.
We have drug, pushed and carried wheel chairs in the mud and snow. I have caried a couple of people on my back to cross cricks and guess what not one of them ever talks about the shot but what it took to take the shot. I guess all I am saying is anything that is the real deal leaves a memory that last a life time.
Olefish.

?

Olefish, can you ask any of them what they think of this idea? 25 is a lot of handicapped people, that would be a pretty good sample, to get their opinion.

I don't know how to contact the guy, I got to help get through the mud, to ask him what he thinks.

I was joking about points in the game for this, but this guy is real, about developing it for handicapped people to use, I think.

Sure i can ask some of them I still have contact with. The other rehab folks I know who are sports people have the same idea feeling as me, NO WAY.
Wayne Olsen

:rolleyes: Sounds like this would be perfect for Texas game farm shooting. People can sit in their office in New York City and shoot tame animals on a Texas game farm and not even miss five minutes of work. Think of the possibilities for Texas entrepreneurs!

Forget about the handicapped people. The big market is in hunters who don't want to be inconvenienced by having to travel to a place to hunt, get up early in the morning, get all their hunting clothes on, go outside in the weather and put their fat ass on an ATV. Why should they be discriminated against?

Go Ithaca!

Some good thoughts there Ithaca. Think of the savings of the impact on the environment. They wouldn't have to fly, to drive, to use ATV poluters, so much. They'd still have to get up early, unless we could bread for animals that come out on lunch break. Somebody would have to kill off all the early morning and late day animals first, to do that though probably.

The whole family could watch the hunt, take turns even, if they could afford it. Its got a few issues to be worked out, but it might come to this. Traditionalists could have a blackpowder gun put in the mount. The Humane Society is on a campaign to end archery hunting in the US, right now, so that will probably be out, unless we do something about that.

I'll find that story, somebody here might care about that.

Elkgunner,
I agree with you on the physically challanged being able to shoot their own game from stands with help from other hunters.
Missouri has a program in place and has several areas at their Conservation areas that are set up for physically challanged hunters to use.
I think every state should put forth this effort to help the physically challanged hunters this way that would eliminate any excuse for someone using the internet to hunt??? game with.
Hope TX does not support this in any way.
Just my $0.02

Hey Tom

Tom-
Just got this emailed to me over the weekend...looks like the internet "hunting" is gonna come under a little fire...

Hello Marvin,

Remote-Controlled Hunting

I'm sure you are already aware of a new type of "hunting" being offered - remote-controlled hunting - but you may not be aware that Texas Parks & Wildlife will be considering a regulatory proposal at its next meeting on January 26, 2005. Following the meeting public comment will be accepted on the Internet from March 1 to April 6, 2005. Final regulations will be adopted April 7, 2005.

The web site running the Internet based hunts can be found at http://www.live-shot.com/

Texas Parks & Wildlife's comment can be found at http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/involved/pubhear/comment/remotehunt/#regs

As Internet hunting is likely to spread across the entire U.S. if not the world at Internet speed, I would encourage all of us to make our voice heard as quickly as possible. The negative ramifications of this type of "hunting" will only add fuel to the Anti-Hunters, turn those that are neutral to hunting against us, and denigrate an ancient sport that so many of us love.

I can only classify this as the first, true "Bloodsport" computer game, and that is all it is - a game. It completely removes the hunter from the hunt - physically, emotionally and spiritually. In addition it removes any "sporting chance" game has in detecting and avoiding the hunter, a big part of any hunt.

I will certainly expect a greater degree of wounded game from this type of "hunting" as the "hunter" will have no knowledge of the specific weapon being used, weather conditions, ballistics, game being hunted, etc.

Please pass this along to all interested persons and encourage them to comment on the proposal to Texas Parks & Wildlife at the appropriate time.

Phil Whittemore
President Safari Club International - Austin
106 Medalist
Austin, TX 78734
+1 (512) 261-1990 office
+1 (203) 774-2002 fax

Update.

I hate to say it about such an important person. It doesn't look like he knows what he is talking about. There were many errors in the news and I don't think this Phil guy knows how the sytem works based on his note to everyone.

All the issues are worked out, except tagging a game animal. The person has to hunt with the computer on site to do that, not remote.

It sounds a lot like a guided hunt. A "guide" sits with the gun and computer. The "hunter" sits at his computer at the other end, wherever that is. There are two cameras. One gives a big view with some great zoom binoculars. The other looks through the scope. The hunter puts in his time and waits for an animal to appear with the guide at the site. When the hunter puts the gun on an animal and its a good shot, the guide gives him the go ahead, by turning on a green light. The hunter can then push the shoot button. If the animal moves or the gun moves and its not a good shot, according to the guide, then he puts on the red light. Even if the shooter tries to shoot, the gun won't shoot when the on site guide has the red light on. The guide won't turn the green light on, unless the conditions are good.

My neighbor has some compelling examples of people who have actually said that they want to do this.

1. His lawyer wants to be first.
2. A paraplegic paralyzed from the chin down, who has to be in a room near body temperature because his body won't do that, has a joystick that he wants to hook up and use to do it. He will share it with his family in his room on his computer, that's about his whole life, right there.
3. A soldier transfered to Spain after 9/11. He is willing to spend the extra money, so he can get a deer and have the meat shipped to his family to share. I guess he can't find hunting in Spain for him.

Most of the opposition seems real emotional and prejudiced to me. There will be a People magazine article soon, I think.

TPWD is taking public testimony on it from Jan. to April, then they decide what new laws they will want.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back