Remington model 7 accuracy

I have one that really sucks, late 80's .308. After 30 years of tinkering and shoving it to the back of the pile I just tried drastically lengthening the coal. It cut my groups in half, but has to be loaded singly as the shells are too long for the magazine box.

Had a .243 that was a "decent shooter. But you had to reload to get it to any sort of acceptable accuracy. I liked the setup, but I sold it and I wouldn't own another. It took too much ammo to figure things out.

I have one that really sucks, late 80's .308. After 30 years of tinkering and shoving it to the back of the pile I just tried drastically lengthening the coal. It cut my groups in half, but has to be loaded singly as the shells are too long for the magazine box.
I agree, the magazine box is a pita on Remington's.

What bullets did you try in it?

I’ve picked up a couple of them recently, both in 7.08. One is stainless/composite and the other is a blued/composite in the youth model that’s for my fiancé. It’s a sweet little package.
I haven’t fired either one yet but I’m hoping for the best.

What bullets did you try in it?
Noslers, hornady,speer,swift,sierra, 110gr-220 gr Min powder to max 4350,4320,3031 H4350

All produced consistent 3" groups at 100. 2-3 different scopes tried. Every once in a while a 3 shot 1" group... pure luck.

Noslers, hornady,speer,swift,sierra, 110gr-220 gr Min powder to max 4350,4320,3031 H4350

All produced consistent 3" groups at 100. 2-3 different scopes tried. Every once in a while a 3 shot 1" group... pure luck.

That is very odd. All of my Model Seven 308s have been easy to load for at 2.80” COAL to produce less than MOA accuracy. I’ve got loads for one of them with 125 grain Accubonds/NBTs and 165 grain Accubonds.

You still got it? Want to sell it?

Last edited:
Thinking about the one I had I suspect the best thing to do with one is re-barrel with a heavier barrel. Just might fix them. I know my old 660 had a fairly heavy barrel and was one fine shooter! that mod 7 I had was a nice looking rifle and seem's it was pretty handy, heavier 22" barrel might be just the thing. Thinking the barrel couldn't handle more than a couple shots and started throwing them all over.

I wouldn't lump all variations and vintages of Model Sevens in together.

We had one of those old ones with iron sights and pencil barrel. It was about the same. I can't say I worked too hard on it because the shooter won't shoot past maybe 100 yards.

Unless you just really want to keep it, sell it and buy a Tikka. Easy.

Mine is a mid 90’s SS 7-08 with the 20in barrel. Even after dropping a Timney in it, it shoots everything from factory to handloads into 1.25-2in groups at 100. It especially hates monos (e-tips/ttsx). I have tried a ton of different loads and nothing will tighten up better than that consistently. Plus it gets hot quick so 3 shot groups vs 5. It groups well out to about 250 but fall apart past that. Not sure why, could be me. I love it though. It balances and carries well to me and I have killed a stack of critters with it. I will pass it down to one of the boys here before long.

I have two of them> one in 308 early 80's production shoots about 2.5 to 3 moa. All out great woods gun for deer hunting. The other is a 260 rem that is loaded way down & 10" LOP as a kids rifle and it shoots about the same but I'm shooting 120 grn nosler partions at only 2300fps

Anything that helps a 700 will help a 7.

The main issue is the barrel profile. It just heats up too dang fast.

I had a Model 7 youth in 243Win that had the barrel shortened and it shot quite well. Could have been luck, or could have the been that the stiffer barrel(from being shortened) handled the heat better. The action was definitely bedded. You don’t have to install pillars to improve bedding.

If messing with action screw torque changes things, then it probably has bedding issues.

I’ve got a 673, which is basically a Model 7 with a rib. Took the rib off, worked the barrel channel out a tad and found the bullet it loves.
It’s a 300 saum and shoots .75 all day with a 168 TSX. Nothing else, not the 165 or any 180. Suits me just fine.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back