Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Remington Core-Lokt for deer

CarsonSmithElkHunter

Hello, I am wondering if you can use Remington Core-Lokt for deer, specifically muleys. I have a 30-06, .300 win mag, and a 7mm remington. What is the maximum range with each of those rounds, with Remington Core-Lokt ammo? I am open for suggestions, let me know. Thanks

I can’t speak to Muleys specifically, but I don’t think they are any tougher to kill than a whitetail. Most people around here only shoot the corelocts, federal blue box, or winchesters (what you can get at Walmart) and from personal experience those cup and core bullets work just fine out to 300 yards. Probably past that too, but that’s past my comfort level. Never shot them out of a win mag but the 30-06 is just fine.

@TN2shot07, thank you. I feel comfortable shooting out to like 550 to maybe 600 yards, but I shoot a lot. I hunt in the open mountains, so I can get those shots off, and shoot an unobstructed shot.

uh6ox.jpg

Before I ever owned lots of fancy rifles, reloading presses and cases of ultra high bc bullets, I owned just a 30-06 with a bunch of green and yellow boxes of 150 gr corelokt.. all the deer I shot with them either fell over dead or ran about 50 yards and fell over dead, as per typical performance of bonded core bullets.

It’s the deadliest mushroom in the woods. This is one of Remingtons core products same as rem oil. There are much better bullets today (and better lubricants products), but the value of this factory ammo shouldn’t be overlooked. If it groups well in your rifle then I would use it. The best rifles are the ones that shoot the smallest groups with the cheapest ammo. For elk I would get a monolithic solid copper bullet because they are definitely tougher skinned.

"Plan for the worst hope for the best" margin for error is kind of an individual thing, some are better at it than others. Uphill, downhill, rest for your rifle, etc, usually limit your range. If it looks like an iffy shot I'll pass for game animals I may take an iffy shot for a varmint. 350 is usually my limit, then IMO the ballistics get iffy, wind, temp human error, and a few other factors make reliable shots iffy. Study your ballistic tables see how much bullet drop you get at different ranges. I zero at two hundred and figure anything more than around a 14" drop is a no go.

I use nothing but Core Lokts mainly because many years ago I got a deal on some cases of it and have used it since. IMO it is a nice compromise between knocking them down and doing a lot of meat damage. It took me a while to figure out what bullet weight my rifle liked best, mine was 168 grain. But I use 180's on large game, Red Deer or Moose. One downside is the Core Lokt don't expand much through the lungs, shot placement is important.

Been shooting and harvesting mule deer with core lokt for 20 years and have had great success with them
From my 06 , 308 7 mm mag , never a issue and short tracking or they dropped in their tracks
Also antelope like them , Mule can’t take a hit like white tails
Good luck

I've killed a lot of WT in MN with Remington Gamemaster pump .30-06 and 150 gr. Core-Lokt. These were all 200 yards and in. Would rethink my set up for longer shooting though.

Hello, I am wondering if you can use Remington Core-Lokt for deer, specifically muleys. I have a 30-06, .300 win mag, and a 7mm remington. What is the maximum range with each of those rounds, with Remington Core-Lokt ammo? I am open for suggestions, let me know. Thanks

I see by your name that you're an elk hunter. What have you used up to now to kill elk? Use the same bullet for deer.

There are much much better today, but I would put a wager they have killed more deer than any single bullet over the years.

Max range is as far as you can accurately shoot them. It's a decent bullet. I've killed by far the most deer with a core-lokt over any other bullet. Federal Fusion is probably gaining some ground in factory stuff for me tho, just because they've been more accurate.

Back