Remington Core-Lokt for deer

Well there is no reason I would not use a round ball. Given the right conditions. But I have never seen round ball the the caliber he ask about. Do they make round ball in 30-06 ,300wm,or 7mm mag. If they do sure I would use them. Like you said the to have killed everything in North America.
Now are there some things out there that will out preform cor-lok. Sure but that dose not make it a bad bullet.
Just like a 308 and a 300wm. The 300 hands down out preforms the 308. So that mean the 308 is no longer useful right.

Well, that kind of blew over your head.

Just out of curiosity. Under what conditions would you use a round ball for a grizzly in any caliber?

They are fine. I have had one rifle and my dad has one that shoot them better than any other factory load we tried. I don't use them anymore because I don't have that rifle, but they worked for a bunch of deer, six elk, a moose and two plains game safaris. There are better bullets out there, but if your rifle shoots them well they kill game just fine. I practiced with them in my 375H&H before a cape buff hunt because they were the least expensive, but would not and did not use them on dangerous game.

Oh they did alright not is not the issue. The batch I was shooting before I left Colorado penetrated through both sides of the lungs with little to no expansion. I should of shot some into a silicone block so I could recover it and take it in. Instead I went back to ballistic tips that damaged some meat but at least I was not having to track one down more than
There was a YouTube video awhile back where they chronographed some corelocts that was nearly 300 fps slower than advertised. So I could have been bad factory loads.

If you want to use core-lokt, then use them! I and other family members used them for years until we got into reloading, but I still have some sitting in my closet. I will probably break them out one of these days. They have worked great for many, many years. Yes, there are "better" and much more expensive bullets on the market, but if you put that bullet where it needs to go, the deer will be dead. I shot mine out of .30-06 and killed whitetails and wild pigs.

I took my buddy on his first elk hunt this year. I Guess he's been before with me but wasn't in shape to really do it. He is new to hunting and shooting. Couple years ago I took him to range to work on shooting with his new 30-06. I had him get Corelokts as they were the cheapest to learn to shoot. Well this year he got in shape and ready to go so he get some premium ammo to be able to shoot at longer distances since at my property as most all shots are over 200 pushing 350. We get to my cabin and of course he forgets his ammo at home. We sighted his gun in with 180Gr ammo. Since he left his ammo at home he had to use some old ammo I had laying around. 160Gr Corelokts. Last night of hunt I found him some elk. It was way longer than I wanted him to shoot but I he felt really comfortable, sold rest and lots of time. I was ready with my gun in case if just in case it didn't go good. 373 yards. Had him hold 10". Perfect shot through both lungs. I then shot one too. His was just as dead as mine.

Ya they will work.

I’m switching to something else for next season. Was shooting .270 Core Lokts this season and had multiple accuracy and penetration issues on Elk, Antelope, and Mule Deer. Did fine on a whitetail at 100yds, but that’s about it. Minimal damage to the meat FWIW

I’ve taken moose, elk and many deer with coreLott’s not to mention lots of pigs.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nomps
Back