Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Remington Actions

antelopedundee

Looks like they are up for sale again. Bruno has a couple up on their website. Carbon steel and more than I would be willing to pay.

Almost everything I’ve seen at Bruno’s has been more than I’m willing to pay. I have t looked at that site in a long time though. They price gouged more than most the others

Seems like PT&G is still selling barreled actions. I suspect they never “bought the remaining inventory” of the custom shop. Price is not terrible.

Still, a Christensen action is probably a better value, and probably a better product. Little more money though.

Take a look at Tikka actions. J&A outdoors has several good options. Super smooth bolt and everything that the new Remington 700 1 Alpha has at a lower price point.

blacksheep

Seems like PT&G is still selling barreled actions. I suspect they never “bought the remaining inventory” of the custom shop. Price is not terrible.

Still, a Christensen action is probably a better value, and probably a better product. Little more money though.
Yeah and by the time you true it up you have the same cost into it. Lots of good choices if one is willing to pay a bit more esp. for something that's Remington compatible for accessories like triggers, scope bases, etc.
A few years ago I bought 3 Remington SS LH RR prefix and likely all 3 have issues with extraction due to placing the bolt handle in the wrong spot. This you find out when you have a hot load and the case either stays in the chamber or you have to tap the bolt handle in order to get it out. Works ok with cooler loads.

Almost everything I’ve seen at Bruno’s has been more than I’m willing to pay. I have t looked at that site in a long time though. They price gouged more than most the others
Yes, he can be high or normal depending. Sometimes he has stuff nobody else does and is maybe willing to pay up in order to get it. He's hardly the only one.

Take a look at Tikka actions. J&A outdoors has several good options. Super smooth bolt and everything that the new Remington 700 1 Alpha has at a lower price point.

blacksheep
I've been building a lot of rifles on Tikka actions recently. They've been great so far.

blacksheep

Depending on what bolt face you need, they are selling bare actions for the same price you can buy a complete new tikka. I can see for some how the effort involved with getting the factory barrel off or in listing/shipping the takeoff barrel and stock may not be worth the savings but it can make the action even cheaper.

Tikka actually builds them with consistent headspace so you can buy aftermarket prefits or for $100 buy factory takeoff barrels from other people who wanted a custom barrel and you can spin them on to any t3 receiver and expect them to headspace correctly.

I recently bought a new Stainless T3x 6.5 creedmoor online for $725 and had it shipped directly to a gunsmith to rebarrel. Now I have a spare 6.5 barrel that I can spin onto any of my tikka actions if I so desire.

Tikkas are straighter, smoother, 70 degree vs 90 degree bolt, consistent headspace, more reliable extraction, more reliable triggers.. Only real downside is fewer stock options and they are a little longer/heavier than necessary for short action cartridges and too short for people looking to maximize long action cartridges.

Edit: one other small downside - barrel shank diameter is smaller than most common aftermarket barrel blank contours. Easy to have smith turn down the shank a little on a steel tube.

Yeah and by the time you true it up you have the same cost into it. Lots of good choices if one is willing to pay a bit more esp. for something that's Remington compatible for accessories like triggers, scope bases, etc.
A few years ago I bought 3 Remington SS LH RR prefix and likely all 3 have issues with extraction due to placing the bolt handle in the wrong spot. This you find out when you have a hot load and the case either stays in the chamber or you have to tap the bolt handle in order to get it out. Works ok with cooler loads.
I’ve never found truing a Remington action to be terribly important.

Most of my actions had acceptable bolt timing. One didn’t, and one was border line. I disassembled the bolt, stuffed the body with a soaked rag, that I wrapped around the handle as well, and clamped most of the body in a pot of water, then welded a bead along the extraction surface. Then I ground it smooth with a carbide bit in a dremel until I was satisfied with the function. Took about 20 minutes.

The current PT&G actions are new production under RemArms, so I would assume they’ve corrected the bolt timing issue. I believe you can get the PT&G Remingtons barreled actions in Cerakoted stainless with a PT&G bolt for less a Christensen action. The Christensen is probably higher quality, is set up for longer cartridges on a short action, and already includes a decent trigger and extended bottom metal. I’d rather use a custom barrel, so for me, the Christensen is easily the better value than the PT&G Remington barreled action. Even so, depending on your budget and how happy you might be with a factory barrel, buying a barreled action from PT&G might be an option worth considering.

I started with a Tikka t3x superlite in 300WM. I ended up with what is a Tikka widelands with the new d18 fluted barrel and a muzzle brake. I sold the stock and the original barrel and had the bolt fluted and had the barrel cerakoted black.

blacksheep

I’ve never found truing a Remington action to be terribly important.

Most of my actions had acceptable bolt timing. One didn’t, and one was border line. I disassembled the bolt, stuffed the body with a soaked rag, that I wrapped around the handle as well, and clamped most of the body in a pot of water, then welded a bead along the extraction surface. Then I ground it smooth with a carbide bit in a dremel until I was satisfied with the function. Took about 20 minutes.

The current PT&G actions are new production under RemArms, so I would assume they’ve corrected the bolt timing issue. I believe you can get the PT&G Remingtons barreled actions in Cerakoted stainless with a PT&G bolt for less a Christensen action. The Christensen is probably higher quality, is set up for longer cartridges on a short action, and already includes a decent trigger and extended bottom metal. I’d rather use a custom barrel, so for me, the Christensen is easily the better value than the PT&G Remington barreled action. Even so, depending on your budget and how happy you might be with a factory barrel, buying a barreled action from PT&G might be an option worth considering.
I had a custom 700 in 7mm built for me a couple of years ago. I started with a factory action and went from there. I had the action trued and ended up having a sako style extractor added since the factory extractor would not extract. It shoots better than I can. 1/2 to 3/4 MOA easy.

Yes, he can be high or normal depending. Sometimes he has stuff nobody else does and is maybe willing to pay up in order to get it. He's hardly the only one.
Yep. That's been Lester's business model since he opened. He'll buy up supplies he likes or uses, keep what he needs, and sell off the rest. Then that expanded into more broad gun parts/tools and reloading supplies. They have always had the reputation of having stuff when other's don't, but you're gonna pay for it.

Yep. That's been Lester's business model since he opened. He'll buy up supplies he likes or uses, keep what he needs, and sell off the rest. Then that expanded into more broad gun parts/tools and reloading supplies. They have always had the reputation of having stuff when other's don't, but you're gonna pay for it.
I'm gonna buy some Berger bullets from Bruno's. Should be great for barrel break in. mtmuley

I've seen posts elsewhere about the difficulty in finding Remington actions. Just pointing out that they're available again. I hope that they finally get the bolt handle in the right spot on EVERY bolt and not just by accident. A few years ago I acquired 3 series RR stainless actions and all 3 likely have issues. Usually shows up when you fire a hot load and the case stays in the chamber or you have to tap the bolt to get it pulled back. Had one fixed and will likely have the other 2 fixed also. A test would be to fire the same rounds that caused a problem and see if the extraction is normal.

Don't think I'll be buying any more rifles tho. Got plenty as it is.

Truing a Remington action is a double edge sword. On one side, a Remington can be made to shoot just about as well as a custom action. There are hundreds of aftermarket items made for them. But it takes time for a smith to do all the work, and time is money.

The other side is, once you pay to have all the work done, you still have a Remington. They just don't have the value and market as a custom gun. If you can do the work yourself, it's worth it.

Are these the new REM arms actions? They will require a little stock work to get them to work in most all Remington 700 stocks that are currently being made. Sounds like they are making them good enough that you can do shouldered prefits for them now though

Are these the new REM arms actions? They will require a little stock work to get them to work in most all Remington 700 stocks that are currently being made. Sounds like they are making them good enough that you can do shouldered prefits for them now though
I believe that they are new production. Not sure how the serial numbers will be. I thought the latest before the sale were the RR series.

The other side is, once you pay to have all the work done, you still have a Remington. They just don't have the value and market as a custom gun.
I'd say customs hold their value less than a factory or semi custom. I see custom rifles for sale for less than half of what the builder put in. Just because you like it doesn't mean everyone will. mtmuley

Only the A1 will require minor inletting. The new regular 700s are the same as they always were but nicer. And yes they might be held to such tolerances to allow for prefits

I'd say customs hold their value less than a factory or semi custom. I see custom rifles for sale for less than half of what the builder put in. Just because you like it doesn't mean everyone will. mtmuley
My point was, at some point you bought a Remington for the action, whether a complete rifle or action only. Then, to pay a smith to accuracize it, you will have the same or more money invested it buying a custom Remington clone.

Now the definition of accurasizing varies all over the map. Some will do nothing but face off the receiver and surface grind the recoil lug. Others will do all the bells and whistles with chasing the barrel threads, reaming the boltway, bushing the bolt to fit the new raceway, etc. So depending on the amount of work, it can get pricey. And, doing the extra work gets specialized, and not all smiths are true machinists. Quality can vary. Custom clones are produced in a none production environment.

Back