Remington 770

Is there a big price difference between this one and the comparable 700? or say a Weatherby Vanguard/Howa 1500?

Yes. . . somewhere in the $300-$400 range. (Doesn't mean its not a decent gun though) I don't own one, but, I really don't have a reason not to. . .oh yeah, the wife. . .If I buy another safe it will get ugly at the lake for sure! LOL

Yes. . . somewhere in the $300-$400 range. (Doesn't mean its not a decent gun though) I don't own one, but, I really don't have a reason not to. . .oh yeah, the wife. . .If I buy another safe it will get ugly at the lake for sure! LOL

I have heard good things about them, I was just curious and thought it might help inform the decision.

I have heard good things about them, I was just curious and thought it might help inform the decision.

Sorry MH, I didn't mean to make it seem like I was bashing you or the gun. . .not the case at all. I agree with what you said, I was just saying that even though its not a 700 its still a decent gun. Everybody's price range is different. . .mine is whatever the wife says it is!! ( I let her think that at least. . .):D

If possible get the 783. They have a 30.00 dollar rebate right now.

I'm into a 308 win for 270.00 bucks and it shoots 1/2 MOA right out of the box. 2 lb trigger and aluminum pillars. How can you beat that.

I was interested in this one because I'm in the market for a 300 win mag and found this at a pawn shop for $250

If it's in good shape, I'd get it. Offer him $225 first! I just saw one on HoosierTopics and they wanted way more than that. actually wanted $500!!

Last edited:
JC, I just called the store and we have them for $317.00 for the package (scope). Just to give you a price to go by. . .RJ

I own one in .243 shoots good action is sloppy for the money a Stevens 200 is better but there stocks are junk. If your just looking to buy it to use and not planning aftermarket work I'd buy it, if you want something to use for a cheap build I'd go for a Stevens 200 instead. I think I paid $275 for mine brand new but I've had it a few yrs

If you get one, don't be surprised if the bolt breaks in half or the plastic magazine and/or other plastic parts break because they are junk and that's why they're so cheap. For a beginner who isn't going to use one much they will probably be okay, but not if they are going to be a "go to" rifle for regular continuous use. Everything I've read about them is very negative and from the ones in the store I've looked at it's very obvious why they are priced so low. They also have the old Walker trigger in them that was discontinued in the 700 because of deaths from accidental misfires and resultant lawsuits against Remington.

I have yet to weight in because I don't want to bag on the gun if you have already purchased it. Sounds like you may not have so I would say to look for a different gun. I've sold an absolute pe of these things and for the most part have had no serious issues. But the are cheaply made and leave a lot to be desired regarding durability and ergonomics. If you are looking for a lower price point, check out the Stevens 200's or the marlin xl7's. Those are both surprisingly accurate and affordable. The vanguards are also a great option. Look at the used racks come tax time, you'll find some good deals. And remember, always haggle on a used gun, ecspecially at a pawn shop.

Personally I'd stay away from them. I don't care for the low priced rifles from any maker. I'd look for a good used 700. And don't let the Remington haters scare you away from the Remington rifles with trigger talk. mtmuley

Are there really Remington haters out there Dale, LOL?! IMHO if you produce a good product of anything for a fair price it will get good reviews and tend to perpetuate good sales. Don't do that and eventually you will fail in business. I try to tell it like it is and if that were the only product that Remington offered for sale the company would have been long gone within the first year that product was introduced. It's too bad that in my opinion they compromised their values just to make a buck or two when they could have made a much better one with better parts for a few more dollars for an entry level rifle, which is really what the 770 is and is intended to be.---just my opinion!

I had a 710 in 30-06 that I really liked. It shot great. Yes, it was sloppy, but it did the job. I'm still looking around and keeping my options open.

Well, I went back twice and looked at the rifle. I took what everyone said into account because I respect all of your opinions. I talked the owner down to $230, so I went ahead and bit on it. The bolt and action are sloppy, just like it was on my 710. My 710 bolt worked itself in after shooting it a while, so I'm hoping this one will too. I gave it a good cleaning and oiling and took it out to shoot today. After getting a zero at 100 yards I could put a quarter over a 3 shot group. I moved back to 200 yards for a real zero where I'd like it and I could put 3 shots in an inch with factory ammo. Right now I'm using Hornady custom with 180 grain SST's. They seem to shoot well. It's a decent enough rifle for the price I got it for. I will get good use out of it. Once again, thank you everyone for your thoughts and opinions.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back