Rem 7400 Weathermaster: POI

Jmnhunter

I have a 30-06 weathermaster, about 15 years old or so in great shape. Problem is, every year I go to sight it in (on a gun rest), the Point of impact is way off from previous years. No idea whats going on. I've swapped out scopes, bases, rings to a new setup last year (Prostaff scope with Leoupold Base/rings), got it sighted in at 100yds perfectly. went out last week and one shot was 8" high and the other was off paper. same story every year, I can get it to group half way decent then It'll be off again later. Have tried different ammo as well and same thing.

Any idea what a gunsmith would look at? all the screws are tight, forearm screw, gun gets cleaned after every use; nothing noticeable that I see

Good thing I bought a Rem bolt action 270 a few years ago as that is dependable every year.

I just dont have the confidence on bringing this to the deer woods even after I get it sighted in so I just stick with the 270

If you are ever interested in selling it let me know. I will buy it from you.

Have you ever shot it the day after rezeroing? I was wondering about dirty barrel as well as hot/cold barrel as well.

yes, first shot is clean (also off paper); 2nd shot 8" high; I have never shot more than 6-8 rounds per sight in with this, and usually in 2-3 shot increments; probably has less than 125 rounds through it; boresnake and bronze brush/rod cleaning; all in all, this gun has been babied and is more finicky than any other rifle I've come across

yes, first shot is clean (also off paper); 2nd shot 8" high; I have never shot more than 6-8 rounds per sight in with this, and usually in 2-3 shot increments; probably has less than 125 rounds through it; boresnake and bronze brush/rod cleaning; all in all, this gun has been babied and is more finicky than any other rifle I've come across
If it was me I would take it to the range like VAspeedgoat said, don't clean the bore, and put about 15 or 20 rounds through it with proper barrel cooling between shots/groups and see what that gives you. Then you can start narrowing down the issue.

Years ago I hunted with a 7400 that had the 18 1/2” carbine barrel. I experienced the same POI frustration. The gas port on these rifles is integral to the barrel. It is also the point where the fore end is screwed onto the rifle. I think the amount of screwed torque effects the harmonics of the barrel thereby effecting POI. I ditched mine years ago for a 7600 that has a free floated barrel.

Read this thread, then take Mallardsx2's offer!

Years ago I hunted with a 7400 that had the 18 1/2” carbine barrel. I experienced the same POI frustration. The gas port on these rifles is integral to the barrel. It is also the point where the fore end is screwed onto the rifle. I think the amount of screwed torque effects the harmonics of the barrel thereby effecting POI. I ditched mine years ago for a 7600 that has a free floated barrel.
i was hoping you found someone to fix it...
Remington is worthless and didnt give me any suggestions besides contacting Ahlmans in MN; those guys just said the same song and dance, scope, mount, rings, clean? than summed it up at "either it shoots great or not"

Read this thread, then take Mallardsx2's offer!

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/1gXjcNegw8ze56VUOP" width="480" height="480" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="
">via GIPHY</a></p>

ok just a couple thoughts. are you resting the actual barrel on whatever your front rest is? this will throw shots. also, is the front rest secure and tight and not wiggly? this will also make a normally accurate rifle shoot a pattern and not a good group.
Big Ed

I know this is an old thread. I have a 7400 in 30-06 from the 90's. I haven't shot it much because of the same problem when I bought it new. One of the remedy was to replace it with a Browning ABolt. The ABolt is amazingly accurate. Last year, I started reloading and took 7400 out to test some reloads. I found a load with IMR4064 w/ Sierra Match King 168 printing 3/4". Took the gun home and cleaned it thoroughly by removing the forearm. The next trip with the same reloads, I couldn't hit the paper. It was 8 inches high with the vertical string. It was frustrating. After adjusting the scope up and down, then I finally hit the target. Then, the same thing happened on the next trip.

I found out the forearm screw became loose as I was shooting after a few rounds. The torque of the screw will change the harmonic of the barrel. This will affect the POI. I emailed Remington for the torque spec. They emailed me back with 35 in/lbs. Same problem! I noticed that when the forearm screw is barely finger tight. It would shoot great. I tried the blue lock tite and it didn't work. The hot gas will melt the glue and the screw will become loose.

This time, I added a split washer between the screw and the spacer torqued to 20 in/lb. Hope that will help. Will find out on the next range trip.

Came back from the range today. I am not happy with this 7400. This gun does not like when the forearm screw is anything more than 10 in/lb. It will shoot less than an inch when the screw is just barely snug. Any pressure to the barrel, the POI changes. I will experiment with the forearm by removing some material that is touching the receiver.

This is the latest update for my 7400. I removed the split washer initially when I added for the test. It didn’t work out as I expected it. The goal is to try not to apply any pressure to the barrel when tightening the forearm screw. Also, I try not to put any pressure for the forearm stock to the receiver. I didn’t want to file the forearm stock. It has a very nice walnut. This time I added a washer in front of the gas block. It is not a split washer. The washer needs to be grinding down flat on one side for a better fitting. I filed the metal cap a bit for better clearance of the barrel. I put a business card around the barrel when tightening the screw. When the screw is tightening, it was actually pulling the stock away from the receiver. There is a small gap between the receiver and the rear of the stock. That is the thickness of the washer. I torque it to about 20 in/lb.

I have to replace my old Simmons 6x scope that was mounted on the gun. It couldn’t handle all the recoil of the 06s. The gasket fell out from the ocular and somehow moisture went inside. The lens became cloudy and I sent it back to Bushnell. It has a life time warranty. They sent me a brand new Trophy 3x9 no charge.

I just finished reloaded 40 rounds of IMR 4064 and 168gr AMAX. I will report the progress after the next range trip.

Here are the pics of the washer. I inserted the screw and pushed the washer on to the screw. I put a little crimp to the washer, so it won't fall off easily.

Attachments

• washer.jpg
    washer.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 25
  • washer placement.jpg
    washer placement.jpg
    966.9 KB · Views: 24
Back