Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Rem 700 Extraction Issues

WyOpitz

Alright, I'm turning to the expertise of this forum again!

I finally went out and shot my new rifle today. It was a 7mm08 that I converted to a 6.5 Creedmoor via Lilja barrel. See my other thread regarding the rifle at
http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=257805

It shoots great and has very little recoil, however, I had issues extracting 18 out of 20 cartridges. For the barrel break-in, I'm shooting factory Hornady ammo, 129 grain SST superformance to be exact. It is so tight after firing that I have to really get into it to get the bolt up (literally feels STUCK!). It is even scraping the lettering off of the brass as you can see in the picture at the bottom. It's not really hard to slide the bolt back after I uncock it, only the 60 degree bolt throw seems to be difficult.

I originally thought it was the ejector pin that was doing this and took it to the gunsmith. He thinks the load may be too hot and that may be the issue, as he had another customer with a 338 that had Hornady issues and other manufacturers were fine. He thought I should try a different manufacturer or a handload. I have the materials, just need to get my reloading equipment set up, or try some Nosler $50/box ammo. :eek:

I'm not having any issues chambering a loaded cartridge, but I did notice a couple of loaded cases were slightly more difficult to load. I cleaned the bolt face up and chambered a spent cartridge and cocked and uncocked the bolt a few times and noticed that the brass was wearing off on the face and not the ejector pin. I think the chamber might be too tight or the head space is slightly off. It's possible the Hornady loads are too hot but the primers look fine and aren't popping out. Regardless, I would think a custom rifle should be able to handle these "factory" loads.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20140129_192310_410.jpg
    IMG_20140129_192310_410.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 943
  • IMG_20140129_192323_721.jpg
    IMG_20140129_192323_721.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 730
  • IMG_20140129_194402_906.jpg
    IMG_20140129_194402_906.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 737
  • IMG_20140129_194544_603.jpg
    IMG_20140129_194544_603.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 732
Nice rifle WyO!

Looking at the brass it looks over pressure by the ejector mark and your comments on bolt lift. My thought is to see how close that bullet is to the lands. Being custom it could have a real short throat causing the pressure. I'd pull a bullet, make it fit snug in the case and chamber it a few times to see how close it is.

Ha, she's a hot one. Been there, done it, got the pictures and yellow bolt face too.
I think mtn hit it right.

Well, that makes me feel a little better. I have some Nosler brass, some 140gr accubonds and now I just need to work up a different load. I'll keep you posted as soon as I get everything set up. Again, I appreciate all your help!

More than likely a tight neck or bullet jam into the lands. Verify oal and and neck clearence. Might find that you have to turn the necks.

There were some problems with the superformance cartridges and they are a little hotter than normal. My brother in law had some that were blowing out primers. I would try some other ammo.

I don't believe this is your problem but I have had and others have experienced sticky chambers from a little rough chambers on Remington factory rifles probably due to dull reamers. A quick polishing job cures that woe.

I have a remington 700 in 7mm rem mag that had issues. First 2 shots seemed good when they extracted. Then the the bolt would rotate fine, but I could not pull it out. Finally it came out but the brass was stuck. A 2nd cycle of the bolt and it would eject fine. I had all sorts of scratch marks on the brass upon close inspection and the gun was sent back to be burnished as there were burrs on the edge of the chamber. I to also had that brass residue left over as well, but not as bad. The ammo I used was Sellior & Bellot 158 xrg ammo. Have not had an issue since it returned. Ill try to find a photo I took of my brass and post it.

More than likely a tight neck or bullet jam into the lands. Verify oal and and neck clearence. Might find that you have to turn the necks.

I hope this isn't the case as it was built within SAAMI specs, and I'm using factory ammo. How would I check this, do I need to purchase my own gauges? I'm googling this as well.

There were some problems with the superformance cartridges and they are a little hotter than normal. My brother in law had some that were blowing out primers. I would try some other ammo.

I don't believe this is your problem but I have had and others have experienced sticky chambers from a little rough chambers on Remington factory rifles probably due to dull reamers. A quick polishing job cures that woe.

It kinda sounds like it would be the ammo in a tight chamber. I'd try something a little less peppy and see what it does.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Hornady have some standard pressure Match ammo? Might be worth a shot... Assuming the chamber is speced properly... Is it an aftermarket firing pin?

The match ammo is 120 amax @ 2910 fps and 140's @2710 fps

while the 129 sst superfromance is 2950 fps

I think it would be worth the cost of a box to see if you get different results.

Those loads are too hot for that gun and brass, for whatever reason.

Your smith is right, and I would take his advice.

You can rent gauges also. To properly check the headspace you'll need to strip the bolt down, remove the ejector and extractor if you can. What grit sandpaper did your gunsmith use to finish polish the chamber? Can you chronograph the load? Also color a bullet with a sharpie, carefully insert the round into the chamber and cycle the bolt (point in a safe direction), does the bullet contact the lands?

http://www.reamerrentals.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=6.5Crd.g

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Hornady have some standard pressure Match ammo? Might be worth a shot... Assuming the chamber is speced properly... Is it an aftermarket firing pin?

Stock firing pin. I will probably try the 140g match ammo.

Any thoughts on having my bolt face tried and polished? I'm wondering if the rough surface could be causing a build up of brass under the extractor. Maybe not the cause of my issue but exacerbating it someway.

Any thoughts on having my bolt face tried and polished? I'm wondering if the rough surface could be causing a build up of brass under the extractor. Maybe not the cause of my issue but exacerbating it someway.

I'd try the new ammo first. If this continues, then it would be worth considering.

What Ben said. When you shoot reasonable ammo in it, that should stop being an issue. And polishing your bolt face won't help your pressure problem.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mallardman1911
Back