Relocating, how do I decide.

Just something to consider with the 20% + different bonus schedule:

20% is roughly equivalent to making the same money in 4 day work weeks instead of 5 day.

Ignoring the bonus structure for a second, would your current employer accept a retention offer of 4 day work week over 5?

Would they consider that and something to sweeten the pot?

Any contract I've ever had, almost always was extended 2 months as I've heard out their offers to become "their guy". There's always a creative situation to retain someone of value, keep that in mind.

At 46, with you and all your family "40 miles from where my great great great grandfather settled before Statehood", and the fact you are already talking about coming back, I think it's a safe bet you aren't going anywhere, but have simply been forced to consider this option through your employer.

Im 1 year behind you. If my wife left me, I would absolutely relocate from where I live to somewhere in WY or MT. But I don't live in my hometown, and don't live near my family. I would not relocate to Kansas, or anywhere else that was a state or two away from where I really wanted to be.

If people reach old age and are able to realize they are at the end of their lives, they usually regret the things they didn't do, more than the things they did do.

If I had 9 years before I was going to retire the last thing I would do is move unless it was 50% pay raise or more and of course that would depend on the state. Based on $100,000 a year you will be getting $20,000 more, but cost of living in KS and then you have the costs of all the stuff you kept in the other state....not worth it IMO unless they are going to dissolve the current positon you have and you have no choice.

I moved for a job, I dont regret it. But I find myself longing to go back to where I'm from. I dont know why that is, but I just know eventually I will go back to the family farm. Good luck, its a tough decision to make. But honestly take a good hard look at the human landscape where your going. You may end up somewhere you really dont want to be just based off of the humans that live there.

take a good hard look at the human landscape where your going. You may end up somewhere you really dont want to be just based off of the humans that live there.
This is a great point. Near cities there are going to be snowflakes, left-wing liberals, country club snobs, etc....and in more remote areas there are going to be drug addicts/theft/burglary, and folks who generally have no respect for laws/trespassers, violent criminals, and poachers. There are horrible people everywhere, and we all have different buttons that get pushed/different tolerances for the various kinds of BS humans manufacture....it's finding the place, I suppose, that is the best of what's available. If everyone lived in the bush and flew there plane to go into town, there would be no bush.

If everyone lived in the bush and flew there plane to go into town, there would be no bush.
In theory, land/population=6.8 acres/person.

And everyone forfeits .8 for utility easements, make it a flat 6 acres per person..

6 acres is barely big enough for me to walk around naked outside and for you not to live with the jealousy of that sight daily

Bush or no bush.

Alas though, those 6 acres, would soon be parcels of money back in the same hands as prior...largely because of human nature.

Someone will have sold theirs to a developer. Someone will die in their old house as condo exist all around. Someone will be a slumlord. Someone will have a drug den. Someone a shooting range. And someone who just wants to be left alone.

He's right OP, check out the human quotient of where you are at, where you are going, and where you'd like to be.

Financially, cost of living in Wichita is 20% less than New Orleans for example.

if you have a 100 nights in Hotels now where you are, you are 1/3 the way there already.

My question is "What new OPPORTUNITIES does this move present?"
Financially it won't be a burden.

Does it get you closer to your 5/10/20 year goals? ( get these written down if you haven't already)
Does it make any of your Obligations more difficult to uphold?

I really appreciate the response to this. The posts in the thread and the DM's have really helped me put things in perspective.

I have decided to pass on this offer. I came to this decision for a few reasons:

1. Family. My grandma is 85. She played a huge part in my upbringing. She lives 3/4 of a mile away. I am not leaving here until she does. I also need time to help my son get situated.

2. I feel like my work where I am with the company is not done. There are a lot of people depending on me here. I want to make sure they are set up for success before I move on.

3. I am sure Kansas is great but when I think of a dream destination, for me, it is not near the top of the list. There will be other opportunities that arise for this company in the Rockies or the Southwest, which are dream destinations for me. Maybe the timing will be better when they arise.

4. I need more time to get my livestock and other affairs here in order. I have decided that I am getting out of the sheep business but this is the absolute worst time of the year to be selling sheep here. Prices will rebound greatly later this year. I also need to get the pastures in CRP once they are gone.

Thanks again for the responses.

Long story short is I have been offered a position with my company in a flyover State halfway across the country. This would be a promotion as far as title and would come with about a 20% base pay increase. Relocation would be covered by the company including real estate services. The state is known for stellar whitetail hunting and would put me closer to most western hunting destinations.

I am going on 46. I am single. My house and land are paid for. I am on track to be able to retire at 55 or shortly after. All of my family and friends are here where I live now. I would have to sell livestock, figure out what to do with my house dogs, etc.

I could easily rent the house. I was thinking of selling the livestock and planting the 25 acres I have in pasture in trees anyway.

I need to figure out cost of living there and see how much of the raise in base pay the difference would chip away. Need to figure out the difference in taxes.

Thoughts?

What else should I be taking into consideration?
Hard pass, not for 20%. Have you done some research with some local companies in that area and found out what you could make if you put yourself back out there on the open market. Seems like a great deal for your company.

Quite a well reasoned response. I can empathize with the family connection to home. I had to sit down and write out what would uproot me from my family place and I too determined it wasn't until my 81/76 yo parents were deceased, and succession on the home place was not to my liking.

When it comes to work, I think we need to ask would the company have the same consideration for us as an employee. Sounds like you have made yourself indispensable. I have been reminded that everyone is replaceable though. In Relationships, Jobs, and Housing situations. It's just the pain point of replacing them. Sounds like you are doing your best to stay out of the comfort trap of Familiarity and Predictability.

You didn’t say your livestock were sheep! Get out now!!!

- Former 4H kid who lost money on all my market lambs.

You didn’t say your livestock were sheep! Get out now!!!

- Former 4H kid who lost money on all my market lambs.

I have commercial Katahdin hair sheep. I have had a flock for 10 years. They are easy to care for. Live and lamb on pasture. Not many worm problems even down here. I hate to sell out but with my travel for work taking care of them and the pastures properly really cuts into my hunting, fishing, and backpacking time.

Difficult choice to sell but I think it is the right one.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back