Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Reloading

165 accubonds with H4350 or Varget. Hodgdon and Nosler will both have recipes...start low and work up.

Your buddy was mistaken, single based powders are temp stable

If you really want maximum speed, then I would look seriously at a different powder.
A longer barrel would have been a better choice also. But, it wouldn't have been able to gain a whole lot more unless it was 26".
The bullets from Berger, or the ELD-X will have the best BCs and terminal performance.
Can't say from personal experience, but on elk, it may be a stretch to do more than 500yrds on any load in .308.
Regardless, I wish you the best.
I really like the Accubond 150gr. with 45gr. Reloader 15, in my .308.
It has been a very consistent and accurate load.

I think if you keep shots with in 400yrds the 150gr bullets will give the best overall of speed, flatter trajectory, accuracy, and terminal performance. All the deer I have shot with my load mentioned above, went down like they were struck by lightning.
Bullets over 165gr. will suffer in the velocity department greatly in a short barrel .308 rifle.
Hope you find a load you like and are able to get in a successful hunt.

I'm more of a 4064 or AA 2520 guy and agree that 150-168 grain bullets will give you more of performance edge than other 308 bullets.
I have owned and built several .308 custom rifles. I never shot any elk with mine just lots of deer and I have to say in the end I felt overgunned most of the time..

I don't get why you want to bang away at elk, at 700 yards, with a .308, but that is your choice. I have killed a lot of elk and never felt the need to shoot much over 400. That being said, a heavy Berger, or Hornady ELDX might expand well enough to do the job at that range, at .308 velocities. If you intend to shoot that far, then maybe you should consider a Mt. Muley super whizbang magnum with accubombs. :p:)

Figured you would show up. when I said that.
I've said it before, the big .30's aren't for everyone. But, if you can use one, incredible for killing. I like knowing I can put a bullet stem to stern on an elk even at less than perfect presentation and at possibly extended range. If I was the OP, I'd probably load the 150 or 165 Accubond or the 152 grain Hammer Hunter. mtmuley

I have in the past taken a good many deer with the 168gr A-MAX out of a .308 and the .300 win mag.
Obviously not a hunting designed bullet, but they worked quite well.

Back