Caribou Gear

Reloading question

huntin24/7

I'm in the process of loading some rounds for my wife's .243, and came across a problem today. I have 50 once previously fired brass prepped and primed, and when I went to seat the bullets, the case mouth had widened enough somehow that the bullets just fall in. I checked the new bullets with some new unfired Winchester brass, and they worked fine. I don't do a ton of reloading and have never had this problem. Does anyone have an idea what might have caused it and maybe a way to fix the brass so I can still use them?

Sounds like you missed on resizing? What type of die do you have FL or neck, bushing or no bushing?

I'd resize again making sure the case is run all the way though. Remove the decapping pin though.

+1 for the above, I would only remove the decapping pin and back off the center punch some. Otherwise I think it's a die problem, if they are new.

Sounds like you either have the die set too shallow or the expander ball is the wrong size. Pull the decapping shaft and measure the diameter of the expander ball. Run your shell holder all the way up. Then turn the die in until it seats firmly against the shell holder. Then back it out 1/2 turn and lock it in place. Thread the decapping pin/expander ball shaft into the die until you have about 1/10 of an inch (.100") sticking out the bottom of the die. That should assure that the neck gets squeezed down.
I know this will sound stupid, but check and make sure that the sizing die you are using is .243 Winchester and not something else. If the die is properly seated and the expander ball is the right size, you shouldn't have any problems.

Thanks for the help guys. I did some adjusting today, and it worked. It made me feel pretty stupid but at least my brass is ready to use now. I'll post some pics after she tries the new loads on a fat muley.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back