Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Release type vs draw length

pojoaque40

Hello all-

I'm currently shooting a wrist release with a 28.5" draw. I'm thinking of trying thumb and tension releases and wondering if my draw length will change. On other forums i'm reading that the draw length doesn't change but the anchor point does. I'm currently anchored with my index finger knuckle in the little divot behind my jaw and under my earlobe. I think this is a pretty repeatable anchor and i'd like to keep it. Is keeping this anchor simply not compatible with another release? Or if i keep the anchor will my draw length change? Thanks for any and all help!

-matthew

It might change based on the head length of the release. But on average it shouldn't change. As for your anchor it'll have to change absolutely. If you put your index finger under your ear lob your string will be way too high on your face. With a thumb release you will put your pointer finger under your jawline and your middle finger above. Where the two fingers meet at the base there is a softspot between the knuckles. That will go on the pointy part of your jaw that is right below where you anchor now. This will put the nock in between your lower lip and chin, your string will intersect the corner of your mouth and touch your nose and Your peep height will change.
Hope this helps

Great summary above. When I made the change I went from anchoring my pointer knuckle at my ear lobe to anchoring my pinkie knuckle at my lobe. With the shape of my face I didn't end up having to change my peep height I don't think, but I could never shoot the thumb release as good so ended up switching back. It's funny because one of my main reasons for making the switch was thinking I could increase draw length, but it didn't happen. I maybe could've squeaked 1/2" out of it but left it where it was.

Any reason you’re considering switching from the wrist style release?

No good reason, just curious about them. I know they take some time to get used to, so even if i picked one up i'd still hunt wrist this fall. I'm also switching from righty to lefty to match my dominant eye and figure if i'm learning new habits and muscle memory it may be a good time to try one.

Thanks for all the responses. Anyone got an old release they'd be willing to part with for cheap? Anyone made the hand switch or shoot against their dominant eye?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back