Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Least expensive thumb or hinge release

Clawsar

I’ve been using a trigger release (I think it’s the Scott samurai with webbing between the trigger and wrist wrap) and am pretty good with it. My biggest issue is getting my knuckle to my jaw for an anchor, but then I have to shift from that as I really get my finger set on the trigger. I think I need to shorten my strap slightly to help, but I’ve also wondered about the thumb or hinge style releases. I just can’t bring myself to spend $150 or more on a new release just to try with no really problem on the one I have. Everyone i shoot with uses wrist rockets so I can’t borrow anyone's to try.

Does anyone know of a cheaper thumb or hinge release that’s worth trying to get a feel for? I understand it may be worth spending a lot more for quality or long term durability, I just want to try one for a few rounds first and see if it is even close to my cup of tea.

Thanks!

Thanks guys. I have issues with the only archery shop in town. I think they are better than they used to be, but the archery shop I normally go to is about 2.5 hours away. I’m not sure when the next time I can get down there will be. That shop also doesn’t have a range so it would only be a few blind bale shots be enough? I had thought it would need to be a bit more to get the feel of it.

Thanks guys. I have issues with the only archery shop in town. I think they are better than they used to be, but the archery shop I normally go to is about 2.5 hours away. I’m not sure when the next time I can get down there will be. That shop also doesn’t have a range so it would only be a few blind bale shots be enough? I had thought it would need to be a bit more to get the feel of it.

I think a few close shots should be enough, it was for me. After shooting a wrist strap for 20+ years it took me all of about 2 shots to realize a handheld release is more natural feeling to me. But, it takes a little while to get the hang of shooting one so I wouldn't expect tighter groups right off the bat. Carters are great releases, I have several, I'd make a strong recommendation for a Wise Choice...you want a full index finger loop so you can manipulate other items with release in hand (like a rangefinder), fully closing jaws so you can hang it from your bow, and the paracord hole is nice so you can hang it from your bino harness when you aren't shooting. Just be sure if you buy a thumb button the trigger has ZERO creep, you should not be able to feel ANY movement in the trigger, this will make shooting it with backtension far easier.

I just started shooting a hinge a few months ago and really like it now, but the learning curve was (and continues to be) very steep with it. I had to commit fully to it and put my thumb releases completely away, but am glad I did. When things aren't going well with the hinge I take a shot or two with my thumb button and realize quickly how liberating it is to not have a trigger. I struggle with punching the trigger while hunting, so it is an anxiety thing for me. But if you already shoot using backtension and don't punch the trigger, I'd definitely recommend a thumb button for hunting. My other advice with a hinge is to NOT get one with a safety, it interrupts the fluidity of the shot, and to look somewhere other than Carter. While Carter hinges are still of great quality, they aren't as simple, user friendly, or comfortable as others I've shot. I'm currently shooting a TruBall HBC.

Hope this helps a little...

Thanks everyone. I think I’ll try to find a good sale and plan on shelling out some cash. Hopefully somewhere with a good refund policy in case I hate it ;)

I was trying to look up some anchor methods and everything else. The Wise Choice and many others don’t have any rotating heads like I’m used to on a wrist rocket. Is that normal or cause any issues with a typical D loop? I had read to have the “V” of my pointer and middle finger rest along my jaw bone, but that twists the release about 45 degrees.

Thanks!

As like others have stated. It’s a learning curve at first. I shoot a Stan Perfex long neck xl. It has a clip that allows it to be clipped on to the string and stay there. The thing I’ve found with a handheld is you know exactly when you have a bad shot. Make sure to watch your drawing form as I made the mistake of getting lazy on my draw technique and had shoulder pains arise from it. The good hand releases are cheap but I think they are worth it.

Thanks everyone. I think I’ll try to find a good sale and plan on shelling out some cash. Hopefully somewhere with a good refund policy in case I hate it ;)

I was trying to look up some anchor methods and everything else. The Wise Choice and many others don’t have any rotating heads like I’m used to on a wrist rocket. Is that normal or cause any issues with a typical D loop? I had read to have the “V” of my pointer and middle finger rest along my jaw bone, but that twists the release about 45 degrees.

Thanks!

A little rotation is totally normal, and why you shouldn't run a super short D loop, mine have run from 0.65" to 0.8" depending on the bow and head length of the release. Typically, a shorter ATA bow with a narrower string angle or a longer head on the release requires a shorter loop, whereas a longer ATA and wider string angle or a shorter head allows a longer loop. The d-loop is also slightly angled right or left depending on the orientation of the top and bottom knots, which should of course be opposite each other on the string. A right-handed archer should have the D loop angling from 11 to 5 o'clock ( \ ) and a lefty should be the opposite at 1 to 7 o'clock ( / ). This angle will then match the natural rotation of the release and impart less twist on the string. Watch some John Dudley on his Nock On Youtube site if you haven't already. There is better, more complete info there on shooting handheld releases than you'd ever get off any forum...In fact much of the best advice you'd get on a forum is just regurgitated Dudley (like pretty much everything I post).

When it comes to handheld releases you definitely get what you pay for. I highly recommend Carter and Stan releases. The biggest thing is make sure it properly fits your hand. Other than that Buy once, cry once.

Thanks everyone. I picked up one of the rebranded units at Cabelas with the intent of trying it and returning it. I haven’t really noticed any improvement yet but there are things I like about it and things I don’t. I do feel that my anchor is more consistent, which was my biggest hope. I’ll keep playing through the summer and see how it goes. Thanks for all the advice!

Keep in mind, that a thumb release is going to change your length of draw and the position of your peep sight. I recently made the switch and it was a big improvement for me.

Keep in mind, that a thumb release is going to change your length of draw and the position of your peep sight. I recently made the switch and it was a big improvement for me.
Peep sight yes. Draw length no. It might change your anchor point but assuming you have modern cams and a draw stop, the cams will always stop at the same distance. The anchor point will change due to the increased flexion of the wrist but the length of pull back won't change unless you swap out a mod on a cam or change the draw stop placement.

Peep sight yes. Draw length no. It might change your anchor point but assuming you have modern cams and a draw stop, the cams will always stop at the same distance. The anchor point will change due to the increased flexion of the wrist but the length of pull back won't change unless you swap out a mod on a cam or change the draw stop placement.

It won't change your draw length (you are correct and I should have been more clear) but you will likely need to change your draw length on your bow to make everything feel right. When I made the switch, I had to lengthen my draw by ~.5" to have my form feel right. If you think about how a normal trigger release holds the string vs. a handheld this makes sense. The handhelds tend to keep the string way tighter to your knuckles. I wanted a very specific anchor point though (my first two knuckles on my jaw bone), so perhaps I was being more picky than others might have been.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back