Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Region B or Specific Unit Question

Guy5858

Hello,

Thank you in advance for anyone that is able to offer some kind assistance to a first time "DIY" and "Western" hunter. We are looking at putting in for a few days of Antelope in SE Wyoming and wondering if it makes sense to have a mule deer tag to relocate and hunt if we tag out. The first priority will be antelope. Here is my question...

-If tag out and are able to chase mule deer, our first concern will be land access and having a chance at seeing deer, dont care about a trophy. If given the choice, would we rather a specific limited entry unit like 10-1 that is rated good for public access or should we go for a general tag like region B? Region is rated poor for public land but perhaps we can have more luck at easier access land with more choices in Region B? I doubt we have the time to really pack in somewhere to hunt.

Thanks in advance.

You didn’t mention if you have any preference points, but you’d have to get very very lucky to draw area 10 without a handful of them. B can be drawn with no points, so that may make the decision for you.

Can you get 10 with one preference point and limited entry? How much is limited entry? Having trouble finding out how much more it is. thanks

Price is the same for a regional vs LQ tag, if that's what you mean. You might draw 10 with one point in the special draw, not likely in the regular.

Take this for what it's worth, but I antelope hunted what would be area 10 for deer about 5 years ago and we hardly saw any deer at all. I mean almost none. One of the only bucks I saw was about 100 yards from the gas station in Wright. There must be some deer in there somewhere but we sure as hell didn't see them. Maybe they're in the Rochelle Hills? Some WY guys would know better I'm sure.

The buck in my signature came from area 10 back when it was still part of Region B, 2009 I believe. Went back on a second choice tag the first year it was separate as Area 10 and ate the tag. Didn't see anything near that size.

Reactions: LCH
Make sure you read each walk in to ensure they are open to what species you want to hunt. I hit a bunch of them in Albany and Converse counties and we saw a handful of does in the Canyon country. I’m sure Bucks were there somewhere but we never saw one. A lot of those walk in areas are good pronghorn country, not so much deer wise. I can’t speak for the rest of the region.

Make sure you read each walk in to ensure they are open to what species you want to hunt. I hit a bunch of them in Albany and Converse counties and we saw a handful of does in the Canyon country. I’m sure Bucks were there somewhere but we never saw one. A lot of those walk in areas are good pronghorn country, not so much deer wise. I can’t speak for the rest of the region.
Great point. Defintiely have to read each rules. But there are also HMA's and WHMA's to check out on the Wyoming Game and Fish website. It's a great resource.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back