Caribou Gear Tarp

Reduced loads for small game

T Bone

Has anyone used reduced loads in a big game rifle?

I've heard of people getting around 1500 fps out of a 100 grn .308 bullet to bonk grouse and bunnies.

What kind of powder and what charge?

T-bone, Be careful using underpowered loads. I know it sounds strange, but underpowered loads can be more dangerous than over powered loads.

Consult a reputable loading manual and you can find some reduced loads listed for lead bullets. Those will work for what you have in mind.

:cool:

I have an old Speer manual (#11) that has reduced loads for most all cartridge/bullet combos using SR4759. I can look them up for you if you let me know what you want. Also, Patrick has some info in the essay section at Kifaru.net.

1 pointer. i'm looking for a load in .308 win using a 100 grn bullet. If speer shows anything in that neighborhood, please let me know.

My sierra manual doesn't show any data.

I've heard and read on the internet that 10 grns of Unique will get the desired results in any .308 caliber big game rifle. That sounds too general.

I'll be heading to Orofino tonight for the next week, but will get you the info as soon as I get back. I know they'll have something.

T-bone, Speer manual #13 shows a reduced load of 16.0 grs minimum to 20.0 grs maximum of SR4759 with a 100 gr. round nose soft point!

thanks cowpoke and 1 pointer.

1 pointer, you had better be packing a rifle and a 9' rod for those B run fish.

I load 158 grain semi-jackets for a .357 revolver in my .35 Whelen. I don't have the load off hand, but I belive it is 2400 powder. they work pretty good, but you have to aim carefully, because they can do a real number if you miss the head. I use them mostly for signal shots when we down game and for brain shots if necessary.

Back