Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Red lodge

Elkaholic59106

Looking to hunt around red lodge mt this year and any tips would be greatly appreciated. Was thinking about the back side of the ski hill

what are you looking to hunt? i spend a lot of time hiking up there but don't see many critters all that often.

I hiked all over that country for 7 years fishing and such when we lived in Billings. Haven't been there in a few years. I didn't see many elk...at all. I'm sure there's a few, but they are not in abundance like many other areas are. It's some steep and tough country.

That's what I would say too. There are elk in there, but I can't recall ever having seen one. I grew up hiking there, left MT for a few years, and have been back for the past 9 years. I have hiked on and off of the trails (mainly West Fork and Lake Fork). I see deer, moose, bear, and many mountain goats, but I have never seen an elk. I know some people that hunt the beartooths for elk, but they usually chase a heard that moves back and forth off of private closer to Nye or Absarokee. I think if you hunt the backside of the ski hill, you are in for a great day of sight seeing...

I have seen some elk across the valley as you are starting to go into the mountains and up the pass but I think it was private. In archery season couple years ago there was a few sets of tracks on the wma up there but they seem to be few and far between

Some of that area is by permit only. Everything South and East of the West Fork of Rock Creek I believe.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back