Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Red dots on muzzleloader

batj

Does anyone know for sure if red dots are illegal to use on muzzleloaders during a muzzleloader only hunt. I know what the statutes say concerning what is legal and illegal. I read a posting that stated the board of game determined that red dots did not meet the defintion of illegal methods as stated in the statutes. This article was from Nov 2010.

i dont hunt with a muzzleloader, but it is my understanding in MUZZLELOADER ONLY hunts it must be traditional no modern style rifles or optics
i could be wrong though

It's state specific, and some states even break hunts down further into regular muzzleloader (optics allowed) and restricted muzzleloader (open sights only, ball and patch, no saboted).

(#sacrilegiousbynature)

It would be legal here in NM and a decent option to be honest. I put one on my 30-30 for a while. I still prefer the 2-7 or 3-9 scope if optics are allowed and peep sights in CO.

Going by the letter of the regs, they are legal as they are an alternative sight, not a scope (as they aren't telescopic). Only scopes are explicitly precluded. That's how I read it, and would be my rationale if I were having a conversation with a GW about it. The onus is on the regulation makers to be clear and precise; that's why there's a definition section at the end to explicitly define terms, means, and categories. It's not in there. You can always call ADFG to make sure, but I would feel comfortable rocking one.

If it's a ML only hunt you are required to take ML Education and have completed the proficiency test. I would think that would have been covered in the class. I still have to take bow hunters education so I can start bow hunting more.

My brother-in-law lives in Alaska and while visiting me fell in love with my CVA that has a scope (legal here in Virginia). He bought one so he could hunt moose in an archery/MZ only unit. We got it all dialed in and then he gets it back home and learns they're illegal and he has to take it off and buy open sites for it. :ROFLMAO: Pays to make sure first.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back