Red Diesel

Redmt

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 12, 2021
Messages
4,921
Location
San Antonio Valley California
I'm not exactly sure what states are allowing red diesel, partially untaxed, to be used on road. I have used red fuel for years and years in our equipment. It used to be necessary to have it delivered but a few years ago it became available at the pump at my fuel jobber. The issue that you may find is that it has a very high volume nozzle. If you were to try and use it in a road vehicle it would be a train wreck. The high volume nozzles and pumps fill a 100 gallon tank in a matter of a minutes. I seriously doubt that a passenger vehicle or pickup could handle that kind of volume.
 
I only know of one station in a 3 county area that carries it. (Not saying there aren't more, but its not common for sure). Its at the pump. To my knowledge most of the ranches get it delivered in bulk.
 
Illinois just allowed it but everyone is wondering what happens when it goes away and you have a dyed tank in your truck.
 
I actually don't see where it helps on a broad scale. I don't know what the ratio of gas to diesel vehicles but it seems that it will only give relief to a few. Granted it will lower shipping costs a little but It isn't going to be like lowering prices overall to a reasonable level.
 
I'm not exactly sure what states are allowing red diesel, partially untaxed, to be used on road. I have used red fuel for years and years in our equipment. It used to be necessary to have it delivered but a few years ago it became available at the pump at my fuel jobber. The issue that you may find is that it has a very high volume nozzle. If you were to try and use it in a road vehicle it would be a train wreck. The high volume nozzles and pumps fill a 100 gallon tank in a matter of a minutes. I seriously doubt that a passenger vehicle or pickup could handle that kind of volume.
You don't have to run the handle wide open.
 
You don't have to run the handle wide open.
Feathering a high pressure/volume nozzle doesn't always work that well. I have a 100 gal nurse tank that I have tried to top off and it's nearly impossible to not wear it. Of course I'm talking about the 1 pump at my fuel jobber . The wholesale fuel facilities aren't exactly geared for everyday consumers.
 
Is a temporary furlough on taxes for diesel actually going to help or is it just a feel good move before the midterm elections? I filled my barrel in August, already tax free, and it was 5.17 a gallon. The previous fill was in the 3.50 range.
It's a feel good before mid terms
 

Forum statistics

Threads
120,154
Messages
2,251,494
Members
39,103
Latest member
s bic
Back
Top