Red Desert

VikingsGuy

Anybody hunt pronghorn in the Wyoming red desert area? Not looking for hunting locations, just general reflections on the experience. It is a place I haven’t been to but definitely want to see. Hunting grazing animals in a “desert” seems odd. Does it have interspersed watering wholes? Creeks that are wet year round? Or is the hunting done around the grassland periphery of the desert? What about weather, wind, camping options? I am very intrigued and looking for thoughts from those who have hunted the area.

While there are some stereotypical desert areas like the Killpecker Sand Dunes, most of it is sagebrush steppe with varying levels of vegetation. I have only been through the southern bit on along I-80, but there are plenty pronghorn. I plan do take a few trips out there this summer to get a better lay of the land.

I have hunted several units there.
All were great hunts. There are considerable antelope populations and obviously they need water to survive. It's wetter than one might think.
It's Wyoming, so there can always be wind.
I have never camped out in a unit.
If you have the points to draw one of these units I don't think you would be disappointed with the experience.

There's a lot of grazing going on in a lot of the area, so I would look for cattle and their stock tanks when trying to find water.

I've spent a day or two in the RD. Pronghorn spread throughout the area. Water scattered throughout. Occasional breezy day. Occasional dusting of snow. Nothing to worry much about that time of year. During season it is usually warmer than it is colder. Camping options to your hearts content. Just make sure you bring plenty to tie down stakes if you want your tent to remain in the same county when you return. Great area for truck camping. Can help to be mobile and look over a lot of bucks. Particularly for out-of-staters that maybe cant have a buck located before the season. You will enjoy every second in the Red Desert.

Did it and hope I can someday do it again. Only if I do, this time it will be a bit bittersweet since it's not possible for my Dad to be there like last time. 😇

Unique and geologically interesting. Wide open spaces. Wild horses. Lots of antelope. Unlimited camping. Hard to get a tag so don't be disappointed if it takes a while to get there.

I've had a few tags in the red desert...very different place than anywhere else I've hunted. Some goods, like lower tag numbers. Also some bads, like lower populations and more looky loos running animals around. Pm when you are ready to spend points

I like that part of Wyoming, but the closest that I have hunted to that area, is north of Rawlins. I think that your biggest challenge is getting a permit. After that, just go!

I've hunted 92 and 112. Awesome country. Antelope will be around water. As mentioned before pretty much unlimited camping options, and much of the area is brushy, although there are sand dunes and badlands. Much of that area is fairly remote so keep that in mind.

Hoping to get down there with my wife chasing antelope as she's got 13 or so points. Really hope we find an area that has a decent population of sage grouse as well as some good antelope and can do a bit of both throughout the week. The area sure looks amazing and unique!! I'll be following along on this thread for sure!

The antelope will be all over, the sage grouse near water.
Some guzzlers out there as well as creeks.
Don't camp under the huge power line, it make some weird noises during a thunderstorm.

Hunted 57 in 2018. By the stars aligning we drew with zero points so it does happen. Wide open spaces with tons of roads and oil infrastructure. Most of those units are huge and easy to drive around. Find water and you will find them in great numbers. Add to that it is the rut and it is like shooting fish in a barrel. Whole damn area is a honey hole. there are some prairie dogs in modest numbers here and there and we could have limited out on rabbits every day. If mars had sage you probably wouldn’t be able to tell a difference. Didn’t see any grouse where we were.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back