Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Recovered Nosler AB 308 doesn’t look right...

ErictheRed

This weekend my daughter shot a cow elk at 150 yrds with a Nosler AB 165 grain bullet from her 308z She hit the elk three times and recovered 2 of the three bullets on the off side. When we looked at the bullets they were both partially mushroomed but lead core was missing completely from both. They were hollow! I’ve recovered the AB bullets from elk shot with my 270 WSM and the core is always present and fully mushroomed. Can anyone tell me if this is normal? Mfg defect? Did they get the bonding wrong?IMG_5736.jpg

Last edited:
My guess is she was still standing. I put 6 180gr triple shocks thru a cows chest out of my 300 Wby. She kept standing, I kept shooting. I’m trying Nosler AB 180’s for the first time this year, hopefully with different results.

Where was the elk hit, and why did it take three shots? mtmuley
The elk was hit middle high first shot, passed through. The next two shots were behind the shoulder. The elk expired quickly. The first shot didn’t drop her, the next two were back to back and she fell over.

I recovered a Hornady bullet from a deer that looked just like what you described, jacket mushroomed nicely but separated from the core. The buck went down and died with one shot that hit where I was aiming though, so I thought nothing of it...

I've had great luck with the Accubonds and that is what I just used on my grizzly bear in my 280 AI. I shot him once with a 140 gr. Accubond tight behind his right shoulder. The bullet expanded nicely ( as seen by the nice round 3/4" wide exit hole) and went out behind the off-side shoulder. The bear spun 180 degrees on the side I hit him, did two tight somersaults and was dead. That was it and he never moved again.

I've used the Accubond on several animals now and the performance has always been great. I also have tested them by shooting into gallon water jugs lined up from 25 yards to 100 yards - 200 yards - 300 - 400 - and 500 yards. They have expanded nicely, retained an impressive amount of retained weight, and penetrated exceptionally. I'd look at the box just to make certain that they are Accubonds and call Nosler. I bet they would want you to send the rest back to them so that they could see what went wrong with those bullets you purchased, and I suspect that they would replace them immediately with another batch. Good folks there at NOSLER!

In almost 20 years of shooting Accubonds myself, and friends shooting them in several cartridges, I've never seen that. mtmuley

In almost 20 years of shooting Accubonds myself, and friends shooting them in several cartridges, I've never seen that. mtmuley
I have the box and serial number. I'll call it in to Nosler tomorrow and post what they say. Like I said, Nosler Trophy Grade ABs are all I use for all my calibers.

Back