Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Recommendations of suspension mods for rough roads?

lifeisgoodsteve

Hi All,

I've got a 2011 3/4 ton duramax diesel which is a pure joy to haul the horse trailer, was strong in the snow and cold in WY last Oct., but is a mighty rough ride on any bumpy dirt roads. Of course this is by design as it's made to haul and tow, but since my towing needs aren't massive, I'm seriously considering a balance that helps with rough road travel so I don't have to worry about every bolt, not to mention my teeth vibrating loose.

Anyone found some good formulas of simple mods that work for you?

I haven't needed more clearance, so figure I'll stick with stock height as I'd rather have better mileage in daily life and long hwy hauls. Have biggest BF Goodrich all terrain tires that'll fit under stock wheel wells, which have been solid in snow and the little mud I've seen.

Picked up a sweet deal on an aluminum shell for $100, painted it and now ready to grab the pups and spend some more time "working remotely", especially during hunting season.

Not looking to spend big bucks, but would rather find the best bang for the buck.

Thanks,

Steve

Attachments

• 681CCEEE-14C7-4545-912C-AE4134E27755.jpg
    681CCEEE-14C7-4545-912C-AE4134E27755.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 19
  • 60393927640__F4A527BE-A41F-4086-AC49-DCDBE0D2B6E7.JPG
    60393927640__F4A527BE-A41F-4086-AC49-DCDBE0D2B6E7.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5652.JPEG
    IMG_5652.JPEG
    2.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4547.jpeg
    IMG_4547.jpeg
    989.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
My 2017 F250 is way too hard on my back as well as everything else. I purchased two items that make the ride tolerable. First I purchased a 2" thick gel cushion that I always sit on and take in other 3/4 ton trucks when I ride with someone else. I also purchased a Smittybuilt air compressor so I can lower my tires to 35 pounds or less when off road or any rough country road. Not sure which model I bought but it was a little over $200 for the compressor. It takes about 5 minutes to air up each tire but no big deal as I am breaking camp or getting ready to head home. There are a lot better compressors out there but this has worked for me for 2 seasons now. Let it cool down after a couple of tires and it will last. If you overheat it it will not hold up.

I also installed a tool box in the bed that has my recovery gear and tire chains even in July. That gear never leaves my truck. It adds about 200 pounds and that helps a little. Tire pressure is the key for me and with the newer trucks the alarms go nuts once you get below about 70 pounds. I used to run 45 to 50 psi all of the time but now run 65-70 most of the time on the better roads.

Thanks guys. I was wondering how much lowering the tire pressure would impact the ride. I have a compressor I got for emergencies but haven't tested it yet. Time to do so at home when not out in the boondocks. If driving 15+ hours each way on the highway I like the firm tires for better gas mileage, not to mention when towing.

That's a heck of a lot cheaper than new shocks and air bags.

Thanks,

Steve

Like others have said, lowering air pressure is the best and cheapest. I use BFGoodrich alll terrains & will lower my air pressure to about 25 if the road is washboarded up- if I remember to bring a way to air them back up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back