Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Recommendations for Future Arizona Mule Deer NR 11 points

TheGrayRider

My 2021 fall season is booked.
Nonetheless, I have never hunted Arizona and have 11 Nonresident mule deer points going into 2022 draw.

I will pay guide fees and still have at least 10 to 15 years plus in strength to hike the mountains. I am patient and can wait several more years to draw.

Any recommendations for application areas, time frames, outfitters, expectations, disappointments, avoidances, etc, etc....Any information is appreciated.

Thanks, TheGrayRider.

You’ll never catch up to the bonus pass for the strip. I’m not sure what your wait would be to catch up to the points for a late Kaibab hunt.

Early Kaibab you should be pretty close, depending on what this year’s tag cuts did to the odds. With a good guide you would probably see some good bucks on that one.

Now that half the NR tags are random you could roll the dice for a few more years on the strip or late kaibab. My NR brother drew 12aw early with 2 points this year.

For a guide: Duane Adams, High Point, A-3, AZ Custom Hunts.

I have hunted 12 BW early twice and 12 AE early once. I liked 12AE better. I did see one 190 plus buck in 12 AE and one in 12 BW (first time I hunted there). I have also seen several 160-170class bucks in 12 BW on both hunts but I think it was better when started later.

I am now trying for one of the muzzy hunts or 12AW late. Not sure that helps but, those are my plans. I liked 12AE better because I feel there are trophy class animals in the unit. They are not east to find on the early hunt but they are there. I don’t think the same hint for 12 BW. I believe the 12 BW hunt is a migration hunt and an early heavy snow can make it great but hot dry weather and there might not be many deer in the buckhorns.

JMO

The easy choice is northern Arizona, but if you going to use a guide, just call a bunch of them and chat. They'll do the work for you in finding a good animal, and probably tell you a good unit to apply for. Big deer all over the state.

I would go 12AW early especially with a guide but you might want to see what impact the drought is having. Unless you draw in the random you won't draw any of the Kaibab late hunts in the next 15 years, they'll require 35 points plus by then.

Update: I ended up drawing both a NR Arizona desert bighorn sheep tag (45C) and a NR Arizona mule deer tag (20) last year.

I couldn’t make both hunts in the short time period so an Arizona Wounded Warrior Veteran got to hunt the deer tag. Great program in Arizona for Veterans and handicapped hunters.

Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

Update: I ended up drawing both a NR Arizona desert bighorn sheep tag (45C) and a NR Arizona mule deer tag (20) last year.

I couldn’t make both hunts in the short time period so an Arizona Wounded Warrior Veteran got to hunt the deer tag. Great program in Arizona for Veterans and handicapped hunters.

Did you ever post a story of your sheep hunt ? And did you ever see how the wounded warrior hunter that took your tag end up doing with the tag?

Hi, BradA. I was told later that the confidential Arizona Wounded Warrior who hunted the deer tag got a longer distance shot at a legal deer but didn’t connect. They also said the volunteer guide, helpers, and unnamed veteran had a great time just outdoors and hunting. Good deal!

Here was my sheep post on my hunt. Hope it connects on this site.

Back