Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Rebarreling a model 7

CowboyLeroy

I am the proud owner of a rifle with an obsolete chamber. The 7mm saum. Ive run the numbers, and for the cost of six boxes of ammo I can buy all the supplies to load my own ammo. It's that or put a new barrel on and I'm leaning .300 wsm. To those of you that have, know somebody that has, or have ever considered rebarreling a model 7, fell free to give any and all opinions on what direction to go.

My opinion is that if you’re going to put on a new barrel with the same contour and stop there, cool. If you’re wanting a carbon barrel well then add a new stock, then well you probably ought to get a new trigger to do it justice probably ought to cerakote it….. It can be a rabbit hole to go down and by the time you take a M700 and do all the stuff to it well you might as well have gone full custom. Having gone both ways this is how I feel about it.

My opinion is that if you’re going to put on a new barrel with the same contour and stop there, cool. If you’re wanting a carbon barrel well then add a new stock, then well you probably ought to get a new trigger to do it justice probably ought to cerakote it….. It can be a rabbit hole to go down and by the time you take a M700 and do all the stuff to it well you might as well have gone full custom. Having gone both ways this is how I feel about it.
If I know me, that's exactly what I'll do.

Is 300wsm that much cheaper to buy?

If hunt down reloading supplies and equipment and go that route if it was me.

Or just sell it and get what you want. The cost to rebarrel will cost more than a reloading setup and 6 boxes of ammo. :)

I have a 7mm SAUM and it’s a gun that I would not ever part with. I bought a stock off eBay years ago for it, user stone paint from Lowe’s to spruce it up. It’s a great shooter and ive used it on deer & moose with great results. It’s an underappreciated cartridge, get into reloading!

I have a Remington Model Seven in 7 SAUM and would never consider changing it. It is a perfect setup.

160 grain Partitions/Accubonds traveling at 2960 fps out of a 22” barrel is deadly on critters.

i have a 300 shorty and use 165 gr projectiles at 3250,i like it very much
one rifle to do it all

I am pretty sentimental about it, I just can't afford 100 dallar bullets
That being the case, i'd keep it as is, and get into reloading.
Look at the cost of equipment more as an investment in tools that will last for years.

I'm guessing you've already shot the rifle, so probably already have cases. Which really cuts down the cost per cartridge.

Reload or find some one who will do it for you.
Or sell it to some one who reloads.....
Like me maybe...

Reload or find some one who will do it for you.
Or sell it to some one who reloads.....
Like me maybe...
I too would have a hard time walking away from a Model 7 in 7mm RSAUM!

And i don't even own any Remingtons.
I'm typically a Savage guy.
But right now i find myself sitting on 4 different Mauser actions...

Well fellas the vote seems to be in. Just how hard is it to get into reloading? Cost and time it takes to get the process really figured out. I'm not looking to develop a super load, I'm just interested in loading to factory specs

Depends.
If you only shoot hunting style rifles. Then a single stage press might be just fine.
If you shoot pistol, or AR/AK you may be better served getting a turret press.
And there are different price points for each of those.

I load a lot of rifle. From 223 Rem through 7mm Rem Mag. Along with ammo for shooting matches, and obsolete cartridges.
But i also load pistol ammo also.
My go to press is a Lee 4 hole turret press.
I got the Lee Classic Turret Kit. Was $125 when i got it. Not sure what they cost now.

Lee, Hornady, RCBS dies all work. Depends what i can find for a specific cartridge.

Load manuals!
There are several available for free online.
Sierra, Hornady are both good hardback books to get. Hodgdon has an annual "magazine" with their data.

Well fellas the vote seems to be in. Just how hard is it to get into reloading? Cost and time it takes to get the process really figured out. I'm not looking to develop a super load, I'm just interested in loading to factory specs
Not hard at all. It helps if you can have a freind who has done it, show you the ropes. Decide what bullet you want to shoot, and pick up the manufacturers load book or look online for their info. I've had very good luck using Nosler data, and the recommended powder and charge for a given cartridge/bullet weight. Tue hard part is finding components, especially primers and specific powder. But for a casual shooter a couple hundred primers and a pound or 2 of powder will last a while. You can get about 120 rounds out of a pound +/- for your rifle assuming 60ish gr of powder.

I'd look for a single stage press/kit with scale, and priming tool, case trimmer, chamfer tool and primer pocket cleaner and you're off. I like Lee case trimmers, they're like 15 bucks and you just swap out the collet between cartridges, the collects are $5. People spend countless hours chasing the perfect load, and tinker with 100 different variables. For general hunting and average shooting distance, you can get pretty good loads with moderate effort and full length sizing. Sometimes a gun won't like a specific bullet/weight or powder, but otherwise it's usually not that hard to get acceptable accuracy at least for me. I load for about 20 different rifles and don't spend a ton of time doing it. Most of my loads/rifles shoot better than I can.

Good luck!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back