Really, Wyoming?

Since the early 90's, hunting & livestock organizations, politicians, bar stool biologists and even a lot of moderate, thoughtful westerners have been foaming at the mouth over wolves. Everyone laughed at "smoke a pack a day," etc. We thought it funny to talk loudly about the three S'es.

We all wanted to see legislatures "stick it to the fed" by claiming wolves were no different than coyotes, which were vermin and deserved to die.

We put up photos of wolves in traps, bleeding. We take glory hole photos with a muzzled wolf, etc.

This is what happens when politics overtakes all semblance of wolf management. WY led the pack on this in 2002 by declaring them a predator in most of the state and trophy in a small portion of the rest.

To think that this kind of incident is limited to only Wyoming ignores the cultural hatred towards the wolf.

To think that this kind of sentiment isn't the norm in our hunting community ignores reality.

To not react negatively to this kind of behavior means that empathy is in low stock in your heart and you need to find Jesus to help you get right.

The problems that come with wolf management are not insurmountable. The problems that come with the ideological and dogmatic rigidity of the western mindset on wolf management means this kind of shit won't stop.

The Wyoming legislature won't step in and help. The never have been helpful on this issue. No western Legislature outside of Colorado will, and they'd #*^@#* it up in the other direction.

So long as the culture of the western states mandates that wolves are hated and barely tolerated, this kind of thing will continue.

Welcome to the west.

Run this topic over to 24 Hour Campfire and watch the comments.

You will see why nothing will change based on a whole bunch of another type of “hunter”.
You might be pleasantly suprised.

What an absolute mutt this guy is.

Man you Americans have some crazy regs. You can run down a wolf with snowmobile? How is that fair chase at all?

One of you came up to Alberta a decade ago and jumped out of a tree and speared a black bear, made a whole mess of it, filmed it and because of the backlash from that it was immediately outlawed here, no more hunting with spears.

I would expect the same thing to happen with this snowmobile 'method' of take in Wyoming now. You got the anti's stirred up with the photos and story, I'd say deservedly so, so be prepared to be bent over.

Since the early 90's, hunting & livestock organizations, politicians, bar stool biologists and even a lot of moderate, thoughtful westerners have been foaming at the mouth over wolves. Everyone laughed at "smoke a pack a day," etc. We thought it funny to talk loudly about the three S'es.

We all wanted to see legislatures "stick it to the fed" by claiming wolves were no different than coyotes, which were vermin and deserved to die.

We put up photos of wolves in traps, bleeding. We take glory hole photos with a muzzled wolf, etc.

This is what happens when politics overtakes all semblance of wolf management. WY led the pack on this in 2002 by declaring them a predator in most of the state and trophy in a small portion of the rest.

To think that this kind of incident is limited to only Wyoming ignores the cultural hatred towards the wolf.

To think that this kind of sentiment isn't the norm in our hunting community ignores reality.

To not react negatively to this kind of behavior means that empathy is in low stock in your heart and you need to find Jesus to help you get right.

The problems that come with wolf management are not insurmountable. The problems that come with the ideological and dogmatic rigidity of the western mindset on wolf management means this kind of shit won't stop.

The Wyoming legislature won't step in and help. The never have been helpful on this issue. No western Legislature outside of Colorado will, and they'd #*^@#* it up in the other direction.

So long as the culture of the western states mandates that wolves are hated and barely tolerated, this kind of thing will continue.

Welcome to the west.

Kinda hard to refute, hits the nail pretty squarely on the head.

Earlier, I was going to take a stab at Wyoming's culpability in this incident. You did it very well.

What I do not think will ever occur to politicians in the west, they are guaranteeing that they will never be given a looser rein from the feds, with their present mindset. This mindset is the one and only reason that Grizzly Bears have not been delisted.

They just double down and blame the feds.

Last edited:

quite surprised.

so far it makes us look like we were going easy on him.

Ya this is the good one. There is another that went the way I thought it would go.

Man you Americans have some crazy regs. You can run down a wolf with snowmobile? How is that fair chase at all?

One of you came up to Alberta a decade ago and jumped out of a tree and speared a black bear, made a whole mess of it, filmed it and because of the backlash from that it was immediately outlawed here, no more hunting with spears.

I would expect the same thing to happen with this snowmobile 'method' of take in Wyoming now. You got the anti's stirred up with the photos and story, I'd say deservedly so, so be prepared to be bent over.
Tim Wells?

perhaps their hasn’t been a need for the snowmobile method to be regulated until now.

Killing predators isn't about fair chase.
Don't necessarily disagree, but anyone that doesn't agree a line was crossed the second that dimwit decided to capture it alive, tape its mouth shut, and parade it around town and the bar, needs a trip to the nearest shrink...at a minimum.

Fair chase is the minimum standard most ethical hunters apply to themselves and for me personally, that extends to predators.

Welcome to the west.
The predator zone in Wyoming has accomplished exactly what it was intended for. Buzz and I spoke of this today. It was to keep wolf packs from spreading across the state. It's funny how, for the time being, we actually still have a half dozen moose areas that have thriving populations; common denominator no wolves or grizzlies.

You know my position with this Roberts jackass if you have read my posts, but I'm glad to see your not totally dumping this on Wyoming.(If I read you right) Remember, Wyoming has the predator zone, at least two states allow trapping, one of those year round on private land. Let's see what happens going forward, there will be discussion and hopefully something comes out of this. Stock growers have a ton of pull in Wyoming and that's a fact.

Last edited:
I’ve ridden a snowmobile up to a coyote and killed it a few times
I probably wouldn’t do that now, but I don’t feel that bad about it either.

Thats a lot different than capturing and torturing an animal of any kind.

I really hope when im in my mid 50s I have much better things to do than yell on forums and post clown emojis.
Don't you have grandkids or something that need your undivided attention? Your wife is probably ready for that Africa trip you dreamed of for you both? Something...something must intrigue you besides yelling and clowns? Oh my goodness...Maybe you want to be a real clown, but your not sure anyone will understand or support that dream....well lucky for you I will support you 100. I may be a racist but I'll never stand in the way of someone's dreams. What do you need from me to make this happen Buzz I'm here for you, anything you need you just ask little buddy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back