Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Really dumb caliber question

So headspace gauges are made for cartridge families. 25-06 you would use 30-06 gauges for.
You're measuring the distance between the bolt face and a predefined point in the chamber (shoulder for bottleneck cartridges). Too tight and your cartridge won't fit. Too loose and you're looking at catastrophic case seperation/ high speed come apart.

Bolt should close on the "GO" and and shouldn't close on "NOGO"
Just following along, but I'm wondering...

What would it cost (and how much effort is involved) to have a qualified gunsmith/shop make the barrel swap?

It would seem straight-forward and therefore not extravagant to go this route. Safer. No need to invest in gauges, etc. that would be used once only (assuming a one-time-event). Curious...

Tikkas have flats on top and bottom of action so you can actually get away with a big crescent wrench on them if you want. Take a block of hardwood and drill a 1”
Or so hole through it. Then cut the block through the center. Put those two pieces around the barrel by the action and squeeze them in a vise. Put crescent on action and spin it off. Some of them really stick on.

What would it cost (and how much effort is involved) to have a qualified gunsmith/shop make the barrel swap?

It would seem straight-forward and therefore not extravagant to go this route. Safer. No need to invest in gauges, etc. that would be used once only (assuming a one-time-event). Curious...
For a shouldered pre fit- 75-100, for a Savage style nut 130-150

How hard is it to change barrels? Do you have to take it to a smith? could you swap back and forth or it is something that's a set it and forget it type of thing?
Savage with barrel but let’s you do that.
Remington will do that if you get what is called a remage barrel with nut.

You have to have a go and no gauge for how far it screws in.

Theoretically, you could do that with a tikka but the barrel nut would have to inset in the stock.

A straight swap locally is a$100 to $150 but that does entail setting headspace, and often the lettering on the barrel is off, so timing can be an issue. It does get a little more involved than screwing off and new one on.

Ok that the "answer" is that yes, esp with a tikka, I can pretty much switch to anything based on a 30-06 casing.
And that I do need to take it to a smith.
And that you can't just swap out the barrels for the weekend.
Watch this video this is for a prefit barrel. And look Up go no go gauges.

Ok that the "answer" is that yes, esp with a tikka, I can pretty much switch to anything based on a 30-06 casing.
And that I do need to take it to a smith.
And that you can't just swap out the barrels for the weekend.
well, yes, no, and no

I do all this on my own. I used to switch it between a 280 Ackley and 25-06 pretty often. All I did was take one barrel off, put the other on, check headspace, and go. Never had anything wrong with it.

well, yes, no, and no

I do all this on my own. I used to switch it between a 280 Ackley and 25-06 pretty often. All I did was take one barrel off, put the other on, check headspace, and go. Never had anything wrong with it.
And how much is a set of go/no go gauges? Can you basically pay for them by swapping your own and back?

And how much is a set of go/no go gauges? Can you basically pay for them by swapping your own and back?
I paid like 40 a set for mine through PTG I think. You can also rent them for cheap. It more than pays itself off to do your own smithing if it's an easy thing to do

This is, hands down, the WORST advice thread on Hunt Talk in a long time.

None of you will get renewal applications for your invite only membership at enablers unanimous.

@neffa3 go buy a new gun & stop listening to these people.

Shame on all of you.
Listen here you gormless minger I'm trying to sell a barrel I don't want anymore 😂

How hard is it to change barrels? Do you have to take it to a smith? could you swap back and forth or it is something that's a set it and forget it type of thing?
My son rebarelled his 270 win Tikka T3x into a 280ai. Barrel Vice, some nut, measuring gauge and some muscle and he did it himself. It’s the most accurate rifle in the house - 1/2 MOA.

He bought two 280ai barrels by mistake if you’re interested in a discounted NIB barrel.

Attachments

• 10979D32-120D-4E7E-8D8E-96CCE3636825.jpeg
    10979D32-120D-4E7E-8D8E-96CCE3636825.jpeg
    236 KB · Views: 23
  • 51D611E1-20C5-48B0-8951-7B5BF329F465.jpeg
    51D611E1-20C5-48B0-8951-7B5BF329F465.jpeg
    206.3 KB · Views: 23
My son rebarelled his 270 win Tikka T3x into a 280ai. Barrel Vice, some nut, measuring gauge and some muscle and he did it himself. It’s the most accurate rifle in the house - 1/2 MOA.

He bought two 280ai barrels by mistake if you’re interested in a discounted NIB barrel.
I appreciate that, but I need to stick with something easy. I can buy 25-06 ammo. I don't even know what "ai" means. It stands for Ackley Improved right? But, wtf the that mean?

I appreciate that, but I need to stick with something easy. I can buy 25-06 ammo. I don't even know what "ai" means. It stands for Ackley Improved right? But, wtf the that mean?
AI means dead elk to my son. You can buy Nosler 280ai ammunition but I think the caliber really shines when it’s reloaded.

His broke it in with an elk this fall.

Attachments

• 5A2591DC-D1C5-4FFF-8274-C48BE06A7CFD.jpeg
    5A2591DC-D1C5-4FFF-8274-C48BE06A7CFD.jpeg
    660.1 KB · Views: 16
Sorry, but my research has shown that a .25-06 isn’t enough gun.

Sorry, but my research has shown that a .25-06 isn’t enough gun.

this was satirical; don't take this man seriously

Back