Really dumb caliber question

What makes using a barrel vise in the middle of a hunting contour unsafe?
The farther from the action you grab it, the more likely you are to bend it. A sporter barrel is a lot easier to bend than a big fat one. I’m not saying you would bend it. I’m saying you’d be at higher risk. It would also likely require a custom/homemade action wrench.

Last edited:
What everyone else's said is correct about bolt face and length. Also some times it's not worth the money to change it. It would be more costly than buying a rifle already chambered in the caliber you want. Like my Kimber 270wsm I put on a barrel with a faster twist to shoot heavy bullets but I'll never be able to sell it for what I have spent in time and money on it. I could have just bought a used 7mm mag. But l like to tinker with things.
true but you also have to look at what you are buying quality wise, if you have a rifle that you really like, you might be money ahead in the quality department to spend 1000 dollars on a new barrel and bedding job rather than buying a whole rifle for 1000 dollars.

Makes you wonder how bad those barrels really were when he tossed them.

I know I had a NM M14 barrel installed that was a match shooters take off. Only had like lifetime of 1500 rounds pushed through it. Still shoots sub 1/2 MOA all day long
Likely starting to loose their edge, but perhaps nothing more than some bad trigger pulling fallowed by the need to blame something other than himself. The guy digging them out was setting them back 1”. Obviously .5MOA won’t win a benchrest match. I was given a PPC barrel that was loosing its edge because it went from shooting in the “teens” to shooting in the low “3’s”.

Last edited:
true but you also have to look at what you are buying quality wise, if you have a rifle that you really like, you might be money ahead in the quality department to spend 1000 dollars on a new barrel and bedding job rather than buying a whole rifle for 1000 dollars.
I’m 100% in favor of putting a new barrel on a rifle. I’m just not that interested in making a “switch barrel” hunting rifle. Not saying it can’t be done. It can. Not even saying it has to be a hassle. But to me, for a hunting rifle, I just want to get a good load going, sight it in, and never change anything after that. It may take me a few seasons to land on my preferred end point. I tinker. But once I got it where I want it, I just wanna leave it be. I’m out on a switch barrel hunting rifle.

More of my hunting rifles have been rebarreled or rechambered than have not been.

The pros to re barreling a rifle is that you can make it what you want as far as length, contour, twist, material. That the manufacturer my not offer in their product line. Just don't expect someone else to pay you back what you may have invested into it. Not that you can't it's just a lot harder to sell it. Kinda like a car that someone tinker's around with.

The pros to re barreling a rifle is that you can make it what you want as far as length, contour, twist, material. That the manufacturer my not offer in their product line. Just don't expect someone else to pay you back what you may have invested into it. Not that you can't it's just a lot harder to sell it. Kinda like a car that someone tinker's around with.
That’s why I sell all my stuff at drastically reduced prices… expect disappointment and you won’t be disappointed

The farther from the action you grab it, the more likely you are to bend it. A sporter barrel is a lot easier to bend than a big fat one. I’m not saying you would bend it. I’m saying you’d be at higher risk. It would also likely require a custom/homemade action wrench.
The sporter barrel is, in relative terms, FAR more vulnerable just as you suggest. I haven't done any calculations to show otherwise. However, I have torqued a few sporter barrels on a couple hundred times without issue. For what it's worth...

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back