Real World success

I don't see many hunters, nor do I cut tracks of other hunters very often, but north of my house in recent years I have encountered some gents from Minnesota each year for 4-5 years. Each time they are in the same spot with a stand like they would hunt in Minnesota. Each time I found the elk within a half mile of their stand. They have never seen anything and I usually kill an elk. I feel the failure of some NR is in doing what they do at home as opposed to trying to figure out which ridges the elk prefer. Elk cover a lot of ground but like some ridges more than others. It is in the best interest of NR to modify their hunting patterns to match the environment they are in. Just an observation!

If you figure out elk country and hunt it every day, day in day out you will kill elk. I've hunted a lot of the same country step for step for almost 30 years. I know it's not an option for every hunter, but for those it is, it works. If I was a NR hunter, I'd find good country and learn it inside and out. Hunt it every year that you can. mtmuley

For many of my neighbors, the good old days was an extensive horse camp that went on for the entire season. Hunters came and went for one of the most extensive poker games in the county. Pack strings came in every 3-4 days with more food and booze as well as rotating players.

I was told by one of the organizers that in thirty years they only killed 2 elk and those people were not invited back. Just because the locals have the opportunity, doesn't mean that they have the inclination. I know many that shoot elk but very few that hunt elk.

One of my former students runs an outfitting company out of Butte. He told me last year that finding elk wasn't that hard given reasonable weather. However his largest problem was finding homes for the elk because his clients want trophies but have no interest in the meat.

I don’t live anywhere near elk country, but I have absolute confidence that I have a great chance of harvesting a bull every year. That confidence doesn’t come from hoping to get lucky. I literally put in hundreds of hours of preparation and when I get to my hunt area I grind it out all day every day. When it comes to my home state, I’m kind of the opposite. With time being a limiting factor I put all my efforts into my out of state hunts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back