Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Reading National Forest Maps

MinnesotaHunter

So I have been doing some preliminary map scouting for an OTC Elk hunt in Colorado for 2014, and I am trying to confirm that I am reading the map correctly.

I am specifically trying to locate areas that have motor vehicle restrictions and few roads. An area of the NF I am looking at has an improved road running through it, but at the same time is in a marked area of the map that is labeled with an "A" in a circle. When I looked at the legend on the map it say the area is closed to all motor vehicle traffic and the adjacent areas are marked with a "B" in a circle; which is reflected in a legend as being closed to all motor vehicles with the exception of snowmobiles on assigned trails.

I understand this to mean that despite the fact that an improved road runs through this area, it is only there for forest service use (firefighting, squirrel counting, ect) and that it will be gated off to prevent ATVs and trucks from driving it for recreational use. Does this sound right? The last thing I want is to make a faulty assumption and then have a bunch of road hunting in the area I expect to be able to get away from that.

Thanks

Ross

That sounds right to me. Where the road status changes will be a locked gate. What year is your map? You may want to find a "Forest Travel Plan" for your area. Ranger stations usually have it, but one I contacted did not know what I was talking about. I did find it in that station on a later trip though! The Forest Travel Plan will list all of the sections of road that are open to travel.

Good Luck

As CC mentioned, you need a travel management map for your forest in order to have the most current information.

The "A" designation on NF lands does not mean that all roads in that area are always closed to the public.

On most of my maps the roads are color coded as well as given a number designation for the times of year it is open.

If the road is green then it is open year round, if it is orange then check the number inside of a square box next to the road.

For example: if the number is 2, then go to the chart on the map called Road Restrictions and it will show that the road is closed from Oct 15-Dec 1st.

It sounds like your best bet would be to call the local ranger station and order the "Forest Travel Plan" map that Carrion Carrier recommended. While on the phone I would also ask them about that specific road and area.

Thanks, that is what I needed. Unfortunately, for the area of the forest I am looking at they don't have a current map and refer me back tot he NF forest map I am looking at, but they say they are redoing the travel plan in 2013. I have time I guess, but it doesn't help me this afternoon.

Many forests also have the travel management map available on there specific website to download for free, but for your case it sounds like your best option is to call about the specific road if they are redoing the travel plan.

If its like Idaho it won't matter if its in an "A" area and has a big sign as you enter the forest that says "motor vehicle use restricted, use map". They will side hill their quad around the gates or cut them.

Sadly some of my scouting trips are merely to figure out what gates they are or can drive around that are supposed to be closed on the MVUM.

Hopefully CO has better enforcement/hunters. In Oregon on a few elk hunts I did there, the color coded roads did a better job than locked gates here.

Good luck on your hunt!

I was finally able to get a hold of someone who could tell me about the trail I was looking at. So it was limited to motorcycles, no ATVs, just motorcycles, Mtn Bikes, and Foot. Is this common? I have not seen this before.

I've seen one that was open seasonally to motorcycles, but no atvs.

Look at the motor vehicle use map (MVUM). Most forests will publish these in black/white paper versions, although I have seen some online. this will be the definitive resource short of calling someone at the ranger district office that knows the regs in and out for the road of your interest.

It shows exactly which portions are open to each type of motorized vehicle and seasonal closures, gates, etc.

good luck

there are some trails that are too narrow for atv use,,,they mark them that way in oregon,,,colorado probly has a similar mapping ,,,idaho has a nice trail website that clarifies what type,i would think colorado would have something similar too.

In my experience the Colorado NF maps and travel plans are sketchy at best, most of the NF roads are marked as to they type of traffic is allowed but you can't count on it until you actually have boots on the ground.

I was finally able to get a hold of someone who could tell me about the trail I was looking at. So it was limited to motorcycles, no ATVs, just motorcycles, Mtn Bikes, and Foot. Is this common? I have not seen this before.
IME in Idaho this is fairly common. Open to motorcycles but not ATVs. BTW, with some experience one can pack 1/2 a boned elk on a motorcycle... :D

In my experience the Colorado NF maps and travel plans are sketchy at best, most of the NF roads are marked as to they type of traffic is allowed but you can't count on it until you actually have boots on the ground.

yes, there is some truth to this. MVUM is your best starting point then maybe a call to the district office for specifics. If you want to get back in there don't expect to do it in your full size pickup (learned this from experience). Most of the minor vehicle roads in my area on NF are pretty narrow.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back