Reading coyote body language

Doug

What can you pick up from watching a coyote's body language? Here's one..... a coyote looking over their shoulder most likely means another coyote is following. Let's hear some more.......
Doug

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 09-05-2003 20:26: Message edited by: Doug ]</font>

Flatlining:

When a coyote gets his nose, ears, neck, body and tail all in a single, perfect flat line approximately 8" off of the ground.

It means you have already missed him twice, and you'd might as well waste one more round.

A coyote that stops facing you, will probably come closer with a little enticing. But if he stops broadside, and does NOT look back over his shoulder, is getting ready to leave the area, you probably will not get a better shot on that coyote.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>A coyote that stops facing you, will probably come closer with a little enticing. But if he stops broadside, and does NOT look back over his shoulder, is getting ready to leave the area, you probably will not get a better shot on that coyote. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I ditto what Tim says here as well as Doug.

I have found that if a coyote is coming in to you, and he stops facing you at 80-100 yards, chances are, he is only doing on more recon, and will continue coming to the call, unless you do something stupid.
biggrin.gif

Take care.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 09-05-2003 21:37: Message edited by: Bruce A. Kennedy ]</font>

My thoughts exactly on the broadside. I see that as; as close as curosity allows with intentions to leave.
I've had a few run or trott horizontally to me after a screw up on my part, but none came closer.

A decline in speed usually means an upcoming shot opportunity. I've seen this when trying to get the second one to stop after killing the first one.

Brad

It doesn't matter if he stops broadside or even if he turns his tail toward me, as long as those ears are up and zeroed on me I can still work him. He is just thinking about a better vantage point or going to head downwind. When the ears go flat it's usually over, although not always. I have a few on film that stuck around a little while after flattening the ears and getting a snootful of mist and different sounds that changed their mind.

Back