Razor spotter????

Chucknduck

Thinking of getting one of these. Been trying to decide between the 65mm or 85mm. The 64 zooms to 45 power and the 85 goes to 60. Gonna be used on window mount and also be packed in the backpack while out hunting. Anyone have any experience with these?

I have the Razor HD 85 and love it! The 85 is big for backpacking but is worth the weight depending on your use. I am able to glass earlier and later than buddies with other brands and smaller objectives.

Good luck.

i carry the 11-33x50 on backpack hunts, i dont have a 85 but have handled one and no way would i carry that and may even be a little to heavy for window mounts. not sure your style but me, the 60 is more than enough if i have to carry it in.

Last edited:
I'm not doing much for over night trips so weight is not that huge of a deal. That's why I'm going bigger than the 50mm. If I remember right the 85is more than a pound heavier but it would be nice in low light and having the 60x. Decisions decisions

I have a razor 85 and I have broke it three times in 2 years. It doesn't mater how good the warranty is if you break it on a hunting trip. I use to love vortex products but I'm getting sick of getting them fixed. Buy a Swarovski or zeiss and be done.

I have a razor 85 and I have broke it three times in 2 years. It doesn't mater how good the warranty is if you break it on a hunting trip. I use to love vortex products but I'm getting sick of getting them fixed. Buy a Swarovski or zeiss and be done.

What issues did you have with yours? I really like my Razor 65mm I did have the mounting ring break on me out in Idaho though. It tipped forward on the tripod on uneven ground before I was really setup and landed on the bell and broke at the ring/mounting plate.

I have the 85mm, I think it's great. It is a little on the heavier side of spotting scopes but I've packed it from sun up till sun down along with my tripod without any problems.

I have the 65 and like it. I would think the 85 would be more of a truck spotting scope. I also have the Leupold gold ring 65 and believe the vortex is on par with it. The Leupold is a little more compact.

I find you spend most of your time with your spotter on the lowest zoom power. Other than the brief time you take a hard look at something. So I had the 65 and carried it several times archery hunting. What I concluded was the 15x power was barely any better than my 10x bino's with more eye strain (single eye vs. double eyes on bino's). So the comparative advantage to my bino's became very small and I started leaving the spotter in the truck. I now have the 85mm and I am pretty happy. It gives me a much more detailed look over my bino's. However, high magnification has it's draw backs (shaky images, mirages etc.)... it is best to decide what you want to accomplish with your scope, they all have trade off's.

Just one more thing to consider. I mostly have my spotter near a truck and then occasionally drag it out on archery hunts (1-3 mile type hikes)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back