Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Rawlins WY Meat Cutters

havershap

This is a duplicate post but I wasn't sure which forum was the right place to post it. So my apologies if I've committed a forum faux pas.
I'm going to be hunting near Rawlins, WY this fall and I want to find a meat processor in the area to cut and wrap my meat. Does anyone know of a good one in the Rawlins area?

I paid Trails West to cut a deer once, and they did a awesome job. Problem was the price! I think it was just under $300 for a straight cut!

I carry a freezer now. Quarter them, freeze and cut at home.

I paid Trails West to cut a deer once, and they did a awesome job. Problem was the price! I think it was just under $300 for a straight cut!

Good God, I've heard of price gouging, but that is rape!

Used Maddox meat locker in medicine bow couple times. It's a little bit of a drive from rawlins probably 45 minutes or so. But they did a great job, vacuum seal everything and very quickly.

Lol Mike...It was actually my buddy's idea to have the deer cut.. We all were wore out on the next to last day of our hunt. He suggested," lets just drop this one off as I don't feel like quartering any more"! Lol Yea is was his turn as I had done the first 7 deer and antelope myself!
Lesson learned for him!
I had to remind him, after his bitching fit, why we had built a custom winch pole and brought the generator/sawsaw/freezer.
FYI...The big price is skinning and quick freeze!

My experience with Rawlins is a single trip, so take my advice with caution, but I'd go somewhere other than Rawlins for meat processing. The option we found in Rawlins didn't work time wise and was very very expensive, then someone told us to check with a butcher between Saratoga and Encampment. I think the name was Merrill, he was very fast and reasonably priced and did a nice job as well. Also, the restaurant we ate at in Saratoga was better than anything we ate in Rawlins. BTW, if you're staying in Rawlins I would not stay at the Travel Lodge, I've only chickened-out-of 2 hotel rooms in my life - this one was far worse than the first one. After fleeing from the Travel Lodge the Pronghorn Inn & Suites was very nice and a welcome relief, plus you gotta love the name.

I used Trails West one time and it was great service and I almost felt guilty for the low price he was charging.

Used them a couple years later when the new owners took over and it was a disaster. I had an antelope tag and they had all my packages marked as "mule deer." WTH? They claim they caught the mix up and had it fixed by the time I returned a couple hours later. I suspect I got some other dude's antelope and they stiffed him with an old mule deer buck. Had I not looked at the packages closely, I would have driven home with an old mule deer, which given my affinity for pronghorn, would have been grounds for violence. I doubt I got my own pronghorn out of the deal, but it was still good eating.

Stopped in last year to store an antelope head for a couple days and the old owner was back running it. He had plenty of stories of the temporary buyer jacking up prices, poor service, etc.

Knowing the original owner is back in charge, I will use Trails West again, if I am ever so lucky as to get a tag that brings me to the area.

I'll defer to those with direct experience with Trails West, but holy crap every minute you can can avoid spending in Rawlins is a minute well planned. I wouldn't have my meat cut there just on principle. Rawlins is like Rock Springs concentrate.

In '95 I hunted lopes out of Casper, then drove to Rawlins to hunt deer, with the lopes. Dropped the lopes off at a processor (don't remember the name). They did a fine job on the meat-cutting but I do remember taking it full on roadhunter style on the price. I think it was $350 for the two antelope, just processing, 20 years ago.

Thanks for all of the good information. By the way, I spoke with one of the area game wardens yesterday and he recommended Trails West. He said that the previous owners weren't very good but that somebody else recently took it over and they did well by him last year. It sounds like the same story that some of you have related.

In '95 I hunted lopes out of Casper, then drove to Rawlins to hunt deer, with the lopes. Dropped the lopes off at a processor (don't remember the name). They did a fine job on the meat-cutting but I do remember taking it full on roadhunter style on the price. I think it was $350 for the two antelope, just processing, 20 years ago.

Keep the homophobic slurs and personal insults coming. I'd love to see Fins face when you write these types of gay slurs that you seem to enjoy. I hear he is really looking to add an anti gay message to the site. In your mind you are slamming me, in reality you are making a fool of yourself. No different than making racist jokes. Keep up the fine work.

Last time I was there (East of Rawlins a few miles, south side of interstate) 4-5 years ago an antelope was only about $70 to process. One of the cheapest processors I have ever used. They have a real slick system of skinning the animals when they come in. Good to hear that the old owner is back.

You got to love the internet! Thanks for the heads up! I will still take the freezer, but nice to know when your in a pinch.

A related question, for those that cut up the meat on their own...Do you guys usually do this in camp/wherever you are staying, or do you usually transport the quarters home and process there?

A related question, for those that cut up the meat on their own...Do you guys usually do this in camp/wherever you are staying, or do you usually transport the quarters home and process there?
Great question. I’m wondering the same. I’m headed out for a cow trip early November and thinking of bringing a deep freezer and generator and just doing all my processing and packaging at camp.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back