Rangefinding binoculars

Ccthomes

I am planning to upgrade to a Rangefinding binocular and can’t find anywhere on the site that it is discussed.
I have been eyeing the vortex fury binos for a couple years but recently heard about the Bushnell Fusion. Any thoughts, suggestions, actual experience?

CCT, I looked at a variety of RF Bino’s a while back. I just couldn’t get past the added weight of them. I carry them cross slung over my right shoulder so they ride on my left hip.

I do have a Rangefinder that I carry as well. The two as separate works just fine for my needs.

Anyway, just consider the weight. For me, that was the key.

I don't have much time behind that level of rangefinding binos, but this past season I did switch over to the zeiss rf. I absolutely love it as a rifle hunter, if I were to get back into archery I may still want to pack them separate idk. Just cause on stalks I used to find myself packing only a rangefinder, but personal preference deal there.
The zeiss is only 34oz which to me isnt that heavy at all, and size wise you wouldnt know they were RF binos if it weren't for the button.
I love the whole system, ballistic calculator built in, was able to switch to a much more compact bino harness, and I find myself ranging stuff way more often, especially on stalks.
With the models you mentioned I would be concerned about glass quality mainly, as the rangefinder portion is probably fine. I would definitely recommend trying before you buy, but I think it is a great way to go.

I considered it, but binos aren't really developing and getting better. Rangefinders are, every couple of years they get better. That's why I decided to keep them separate. Then only one of the items become obsolete lol

I also have the zeiss rf bibos and absolutely love them. The extra weight is not in issue IMO and is more than made for not having to hold the small, monocled unit up and try and find the game in spotted in my binos especially when rifle hunting for antelope. I’m super happy I switched to a combined unit and won’t be going back. I can’t speak to the Fusions and the Zeiss were spendy but I got a good deal online and used my tax refund to splurge.

I have the leica geovids and definitely will not be going back to separate units. Leica has a habit of releasing a new version their flagship geovid every couple years, so you can often get a smoking deal on the "old" version.

I really enjoy my Vortex Fury's, the only drawback is for archery, I am going to buy a separate rangefinder this year so I don't have to pull up binos to get a range when bow hunting.

I also have the Leica Geovids and am not sure I could go back to separate units. I have the 2200-B model that does the ballistic calculations for me.

Probably more of a mental thing as I haven't taken a shot at a game animal using the ballistic calculations (always work to get closer), but I do like knowing the distance.

I am predominately a rifle hunter, if I'm using archery it is generally from a blind.

Thanks for all the responses so far. The Zeiss RFs are out of my price range although I’m sure they are great. It looks like the leicas are about the same price as the fury so I’ll definitely look into them. As of now I’m not a bow hunter so no need to worry about the close ranges. If I do need the close range I still have my old rangefinder. Anybody else have experience with the fusion and/or fury?

As mentioned above my brother and I both have fury's and they are awesome. I really love them the glass is fantastic and the rangefinder has always been spot on. I guess if there were leicas that were the same price I would go Leica if I was buying now but you will not be disappointed in the Fury's at their price point.

As pyrotechnic mentioned, Leica tends to come out with a new model every year or two.

I picked up my HD-B 2200's "used like new" for $1,500 a few years ago. I have heard some people complain about Leica's warranty handling but mine had a deal when I first got them that they would not range in low temperatures (which was a known problem for that particular model when it first came out) and they handled it under warranty with no questions at no cost to me.

As pyrotechnic mentioned, Leica tends to come out with a new model every year or two.

I picked up my HD-B 2200's "used like new" for $1,500 a few years ago. I have heard some people complain about Leica's warranty handling but mine had a deal when I first got them that they would not range in low temperatures (which was a known problem for that particular model when it first came out) and they handled it under warranty with no questions at no cost to me.
I dropped my old pair of rf leica’s and smashed the adjustment so I only could adjust one eye to match the other that was stuck. Finally sent them in to Leica to fix. After first sending me a cost to fix or upgrade since the repair wasn’t under warranty. They sent me a new pair under warranty anyway. For all the bitching I had heard about their poor service. I was quite pleased. They wouldn’t have needed to do that.

For those with Leica, how have they operated in cold weather? My brother bought a pair last year. We were hunting together last year on a zero degree day and he was struggling to get it to read that day. Most other days they performed flawlessly. As I was messing around with his, I decided I wouldn't care for them bowhunting.

I think RF binos is the way to go for rifle hunting if they are reliable. They aren't ideal for bow hunting IMO. I had a pair of leica geovid HD-b 2000 not work in cool temps which they warrantied for HD-B 2200 that had the same problem. They replaced the 2200s with 3000s which i just sold new in box and went back to separate RF and binos.

The RF binos have traditionally been a decent step down optically from the pure binos but they seem to be getting better. The other thing is in some cases 12 or 15x binos are desired for spotting game and the options are limited in RF binos for that application it makes sense to keep a separate RF.

Regardless, i wouldn't buy a rangefinder without applied ballistics or similar ballistic computer onboard for rifle hunting.

For those with Leica, how have they operated in cold weather? My brother bought a pair last year. We were hunting together last year on a zero degree day and he was struggling to get it to read that day. Most other days they performed flawlessly. As I was messing around with his, I decided I wouldn't care for them bowhunting.

The two pairs i had started acting funny when temps got around 40 degrees so not even that cold! I wouldn't trust them without a pretty rigorous cold weather test beforehand.

I haven't had issues down to single digits with my hd-b 3000s or 3200s. The leica warranty has been good to deal with but a little slow.

When I picked up the 3000s, highly discounted, a few years back I got a bum unit that the focus locked up on within 30 minutes of use. The retailer wouldn't help me because I was out of the country when I had ordered them and was past the 30 day return window when I finally got to play with them.

This was the start of covid and just got an automatic out of office response from leica as they had sent their employees home.
I got ahold of Doug at camaralandNY (not who i bought it from) who put me in touch with a lady at leica. She went in to the office and dropped a loaner set in the mail for me. It took a while for the unit to be replaced with Covid.

This last summer the 3000s took a nasty spill attached to my pack and they were literally smashed in half. Leica replaced them with the 3200.coms when I sent them in to ask if they were repairable and how much it would cost.

So I have been very happy with the service from Leica. And not to shill too hard for Doug, but he really didn't need to help me out with a set of binos I didn't buy from him. But he did, and I am very grateful for that and I don't really look anywhere else if I am looking for new optic.

I use the Meopta Optika LR and love them. Used them last year again down to 10f with zero problems. PM me for a price. In the past I had the Leica and was not impressed with that generation of optics or ranging. The SIG Kilo were better than the older leica but ergonomics sucked.

I have used Leica rf binos since their first model. I use them coyote hunting in Montana also so very cold to -10 F plus. No issues with the cold. They do struggle a little in snowing conditions however. Most range finders do though.

I think RF binos is the way to go for rifle hunting if they are reliable. They aren't ideal for bow hunting IMO. I had a pair of leica geovid HD-b 2000 not work in cool temps which they warrantied for HD-B 2200 that had the same problem. They replaced the 2200s with 3000s which i just sold new in box and went back to separate RF and binos.

The RF binos have traditionally been a decent step down optically from the pure binos but they seem to be getting better. The other thing is in some cases 12 or 15x binos are desired for spotting game and the options are limited in RF binos for that application it makes sense to keep a separate RF.

Regardless, i wouldn't buy a rangefinder without applied ballistics or similar ballistic computer onboard for rifle hunting.
To add to your point on bow hunting, is think about which hand you hold your bow with and which hand you need to operate the range button on the rf binos. For me it’s my left hand for both. Not very convenient and why I still have to carry a range finder when bow hunting

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back