PEAX Equipment

Rangefinder input

I'm newer to all this. Got an old Leupold Rx1 4 years ago because guy was selling stupid cheap in my budget at the time. I just upgraded to the Leupold RX1300i on my way out to a sheep hunt because it was 'in my budget' (I was over budget...sshhh) and it did great. We weren't able to connect on a Dall Sheep as my Broadhead max is 70 yards but it was accurate in everything I tested it in. Leupold has a good name in the space as well.

I have an older Leica that will range consistently to 800 yards or more, but bulky, really the only reason I wanted something newer so I bought a Sig 2000 on sale a couple months back. At first I thought it was great, could range trees and some things out to 7-800 yards easily, When hunting the last couple times, its lucky to consistently range to 400 yards. Maybe its a low battery, but its brand new, or was and I've used it a half a dozen times. Last weekend I couldn't get a range on caribou that were around 450 yards, in daylight with snow in the background. Going to look for a new Leica.

I got a Leica close out for about half price from Eurooptic a couple of year ago. For the $3-400 I spent I think it’s well worth it. It reads out quickly and accurately from what I can tell for as far as I need it. It’s advertised as the 2000m model but they explicitly state that’s for measuring hardened broad targets like buildings or land masses. For point targets it’s rated for about half that distance and from what I can tell it’s accurate based on point lazing and using a mapping tool to range. Typically the measurements out to ~650 yds (the furthest I’ve ranged) were pretty much spot on every time.

If my Vortex hasn't been used in weeks I press the button a few times when I put it in my pocket. Seems to make it work faster on the first range I take in the woods.

Back