PEAX Equipment

Range finders?

oscari

I am looking for my first range finder and I need opinions from this article- https://opticsaddict.com/rangefinder/ of you who use them. I was seriously considering the Vortex Optics ranger. I really like the warranty they offer. Does another company offer the same guarantee? I want to try to stay in the $ 300 range.

Last edited:
Vortex touts their warranty more than other companies but all large optics manufacturers have good warranties, look at old threads for details.

I would look used, you can get a top of the line rangefinder used for $300 that has a warranty,

^^He's right. Used with warranty is certainly possible. I have a sig BDX that I really like. I have had decent experience with Leupold as well. I went with Sig in case I decide to buy a BDX scope that allows the rangfinder and scope to communicate setting the aiming point in the reticle. Pretty cool.

I've got a Leupold 1200 I really like because it has red LED display. I had a nikon that had black readout but it's really hard to see the range in low light....I much prefer the red LED.

If you're going to do a lot of mountain hunting or tree stand hunting where steep shot angles come into play then true ballistic range may be a feature of interest.

Either way I'd look for used or bargain cave type deal to get the most for your money.

First question I have for you is What are you using the ranger finder for and price range you are looking at???????

Archery, Rifle, Range and Target Rifle? Primary Hunting?

So much really depends on what you do with it as a primary practice. If it's gonna be a hunting unit primarily and used in low light conditions (day break and sunset) in deep woods/mountain conditions I would highly recommend one with a luminated reticle (many on the market). As far as distance goes it can really increase the cost. Be aware almost all on the market that claim a specific distance, that distance primarily is for reflective targets NOT game animals so be aware of that.

This forum is a good place to get opinion from a host of different users. I personally have used 3 ranger finder brands over a period of time (Vortex, Leupold, Nikon). Not necessarily in that order. All have been solid and I don't have any regrets with either. After years of using one for hunting conditions my most recent has a lighted reticle and I will never ever go back/purchase another without it regardless of distance or brand. Just my .02

I just bought, haven't gotten it yet, a Vortex Ranger 1300 rangefinder. If you have this rangefinder, do you like it?

I'll be using it for bowhunting and rifle hunting.

Picked up a Ranger 1000 on clearance shortly after they came out with the 1300 and it's been a great first rangefinder. I wouldn't shy away from anything with a Vortex or Leupold logo on it.

One of the best things that ever happened to me was losing my Bushnell 500-yard rangefinder, which had plenty of trouble getting a reading on much of anything past 300 yards. Replaced it with a Nikon 550 and was much happier. Have ranged prominent things in excess of 700 yards with it. Later I found a Nikon 1200 lying on the ground...the belt loops on the nylon case had ripped off and someone lost it. Works even better and I have had no problems with either Nikon. As crock239 noted, the black LED read-out does not show up well under low light conditions. I just take a reading and then hold it up with the sky as background and can read the numbers that way. No experience with any other brands.

While i'd like to have some of the better glass & gadgets, my budget limits me.
So when i decided it was finally time for a rangefinder, my search was open to many manufacturers.
I finally bought an "off brand" rangefinder on Amazon that was at the limit of my budget.

After much research i bought the SA Sports Dragoneyez 1500.
7 power veiwer.
Ranges to 1,500 yards.
Can easily range deer to 800 yards. Longest so far has been 1,160 yards.
Ranged my truck at 1,537 yards once.
Only negative i have after 3 years of hard use is there is no fitting for a tripod to help stabilize for those really long ranges.

Oh, and priced at $200ish dollars.

I have a Sig 2000. It has been phenomenal and they are not too expensive. The only negative for me, is that the target circle is a bit large, but it has not hindered me and it has performed flawlessly for the two, or three years that I have had it.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back