Caribou Gear

Range finder with both red and black display?

Brittany Chukarman

Maybe it's my aging eyes but I have a hard time seeing a red display during daylight. Is there one on the market that you can choose to display red or black?

I have a Bushnell rangefinder I use bow hunting that has a black display. Sucks in low light and against a dark background because you have to range and then raise it to something lighter (sky) to read it. IVe never tried to change it so Im not sure if it has red or not.

I am with you on the red display in sunlight. That being said my hunting partner has a Leica with a red display that is perfectly clear in bright sunlight.

I think that would be a good feature where with the flick of a switch or push of a button you could change from red to black.

I think the difference is the black displays are LCD (liquid crystal display) which are hard to see in low light conditions, and the red diplays are LED (light emitting diodes) which are much easier to see in low light but harder to see in bright light. The black just appears on the screen where the red lights up. I don't know of anyone that makes the black and the red. I have seen some optics that have either red or green, but if you opt for a black display, you won't be able to see it as well in low light. When I had a rangefinder with the black LCD, I would just range the target, and without letting go of the button, point the rangefinder to the sky (or light background) and read the distance. As long as I didn't release the button, it would lock the readout and I could read it when pointing it at the sky.

In researching the different manufacturers Sig has models with an OLED display that automatically adjusts the brightness based on ambient light conditions. I bought the Kilo 1600, $200 from Scheels. Really sweet, has a much clearer optic and the eyepiece is even adjustable. Easy to read in all light conditions. Real good upgrade for me.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back