Randy, you are my hero!

DHaffner

I have spent 2 years trying to figure out how to make a ultra light aircraft entry into a piece of BLM in a western state. I'm sitting here watching your Chopper hunt just loving it! You have the best show/website in the outdoors genre and it's not close. Thank you so much for what you do!

I have spent 2 years trying to figure out how to make a ultra light aircraft entry into a piece of BLM in a western state. I'm sitting here watching your Chopper hunt just loving it! You have the best show/website in the outdoors genre and it's not close. Thank you so much for what you do!

I second his statement. Keep it up Randy.

I would like to know how much it costs to hire a helicopter to do a drop like that.

I would like to know how much it costs to hire a helicopter to do a drop like that.

Not that it is anyone's business, but here you go. It was just over $700 per person when split three ways. Pretty affordable, given the quality of the opportunity it provided. Less than the cost of a nonresident MT elk tag.

It was a fun episode to watch. Very seldom do you see hunters encountering other hunters on shows/dvds. To put together these kinds of shows on public land is really saying something about your skills as well as your crews. Great team effort!

Not that it is anyone's business, but here you go. It was just over $700 per person when split three ways. Pretty affordable, given the quality of the opportunity it provided. Less than the cost of a nonresident MT elk tag.

Thanks for the info....

I was also wondering if what those guys did with the plane is legal, I like how you handled it as I would have not been as nice as you were on camera :)

It was a fun episode to watch. Very seldom do you see hunters encountering other hunters on shows/dvds.

Yea I have yet to see Lee and Tiffany or anyone else for that matter change their hunt because someone else was in their spot.... oh wait you don't have to worry about that on private.

I think the way the regs used to read was that you couldn't hunt the same day you flew. So It technically didn't say that you had to wait 24 hrs. So flying in on an afternoon and then hunting the following morning would have been legal. I thought I heard that they were/did change it to 24 hrs but I'm not sure. I know Randy was told to be safe just wait 24 hrs so we did.

I think the way the regs used to read was that you couldn't hunt the same day you flew. So It technically didn't say that you had to wait 24 hrs. So flying in on an afternoon and then hunting the following morning would have been legal. I thought I heard that they were/did change it to 24 hrs but I'm not sure. I know Randy was told to be safe just wait 24 hrs so we did.

It is illlegal to spot and hunt within the same day. Its always good to be on the safe side.

I have yet to watch the episode or any TV in the last month or so but what is in question about being legal or not?

My question was really around is it legal to land a plane on BLM land.

My question was really around is it legal to land a plane on BLM land.

Yes it is legal. All aircraft fall under the same rule. Do you think it is legal to land a helicopter on BLM? :confused: Aircraft are not considered under the current BLM travel managment plan for motorized off road use. Airplanes and helicopters are both aircraft.

Yes it is legal. All aircraft fall under the same rule. Do you think it is legal to land a helicopter on BLM? :confused: Aircraft are not considered under the current BLM travel managment plan for motorized off road use. Airplanes and helicopters are both aircraft.
So, it appears the local interpretation of the land use plan is that if it is not expressly forbidden it is legal. Is that correct?

So, it appears the local interpretation of the land use plan is that if it is not expressly forbidden it is legal. Is that correct?

That is an interesting question. Don't know the answer to that.

Not sure how it is for the person who does not need the special use permit that I am required to get for the filming operation. We have to provide exact locale of where we will hunt, where we will land, transporter, how we will get there, camp location, size of camp, etc. and pay the fee for the privilege of doing so.

We are required to get approval for our landing as part of our commercial filming permit.

I suspect that is different from others who access via aircraft and are not doing so as part of a commercial operation.

I figured Randy just jumped from the helicopter and it never actually landed....lol

good show,,,thats the way for us american hunters to hunt {our} land,,,probly pisses off the outfitters that thought they had exclusive hunting rights.

Randy:

Thanks for taking the high road on this production.

It was much more enjoyable to watch the great footage of animals, Bart, and the landscape, than to give precious airtime to the other low class options available.

Keep up the good work.

Scott

Back