Caribou Gear Tarp

Random question - Aoudad table fare

Blaser270

I’ve had a drive to hunt Aoudad sheep for years. It’s probably my only practical means to sheep hunt given the cost and that I don’t live in the west (live in NC). But i digress. I’m wondering if anyone has experience with the table fare of the Aoudad. I have a seriously difficult time with the idea of hunting and killing an animal and wasting the meat, so if it’s inedible, then Aoudad is off of my list.
Be safe and be well, everyone! Pete

Also interested in this topic. I'm going to New Mexico end of February to see if I can't find one. My cousin brought goose sticks to elk camp that were damn good. I figure if you can make goose edible then Barbary sticks should be fantastic!

The ram in my avatar was fairly young and ate fine. I’ve heard that the large old rams are very tough, but have only eaten the one I shot.

I’ve had a drive to hunt Aoudad sheep for years. It’s probably my only practical means to sheep hunt given the cost and that I don’t live in the west (live in NC). But i digress. I’m wondering if anyone has experience with the table fare of the Aoudad. I have a seriously difficult time with the idea of hunting and killing an animal and wasting the meat, so if it’s inedible, then Aoudad is off of my list.
Be safe and be well, everyone! Pete
grind and make sticks

I've eaten a few, including some old rams. This is just another situation where people think they taste bad because they don't take care of the meat properly. Its easy to see how that can happen. The last one I killed was in 100 degree heat, we had several miles to pack it out on our backs, and the only ice other than what we brought with us was a half day's drive away. Plan ahead and it will taste great. The flavor is excellent, seriously some of the best meat I've ever had. Personally I even prefer it over elk.

Having said that, don't expect to make steaks out of all the cuts and throw them on the grill. The tenderloins and loins can be eaten as steaks but that's it. Basically everything else is too tough to do that with, so look up some recipes for braising, or the slow cooker, or just grind it into burger.

Having said that, don't expect to make steaks out of all the cuts and throw them on the grill. The tenderloins and loins can be eaten as steaks but that's it. Basically everything else is too tough to do that with, so look up some recipes for braising, or the slow cooker, or just grind it into burger.
I agree with this. Even the backstraps were a little tougher than elk, etc. I thought. We crock potted a lot of the meat to make various meals and that took care of any toughness. I would love to shoot and eat another.

I once grilled some round steaks rare, to about 120 degrees. You could have resoled your boots with those things. Even the dog had to swallow them whole. I'm not exaggerating when I say I could barely cut them with a sharp knife.

After that I ground everything except the tenderloins and loins and it was excellent after that.

My ram was old, killed in the heat, and middle of the rut. I wasn't impressed with it. It wasn't inedible, but is at the bottom of my list. If you were to change the harvest conditions, it might be better, but it's not going to beat elk, antelope, or oryx.

Thank you for all of the input. I was just hoping for it to be edible, so i can shoot one in good conscience. Message received... marinate and grill the loins and t-loins. The rest is Burger, jerky, tacos, and stew !
@madtom, thats a good looking ram !!

Flavor is great. I had steaks that were pretty good from the back straps from a 3-4 year old ram. Ground stuff has amazing flavor without fat added. I prefer it to most deer.

I used to guide aoudad hunt in west Texas. The flavor is great but even a the younger female are tough. They make great sausage and hamburger meat. Taking some bigger cuts and making roast could be good just never tried it.

My buddy shot a big old ram and took every last bit of meat home despite being told "nobody keeps the meat". Ground some and made tacos, cubed some and stir fried, and so far all has been delicious. What a damn waste if people are travelling to hunt aoudad and leaving meat behind. If someone out there was local to these ranches and this was happening, I'd suggest they make a deal with the ranches that are telling people its no go, collect the meat and start a sausage business! Nobody should be killing game animals and intentionally wasting the carcass... don't eat it? don't go all that way to kill it!

My buddy shot a big old ram and took every last bit of meat home despite being told "nobody keeps the meat". Ground some and made tacos, cubed some and stir fried, and so far all has been delicious. What a damn waste if people are travelling to hunt aoudad and leaving meat behind. If someone out there was local to these ranches and this was happening, I'd suggest they make a deal with the ranches that are telling people its no go, collect the meat and start a sausage business! Nobody should be killing game animals and intentionally wasting the carcass... don't eat it? don't go all that way to kill it!
Agreed. I harvested one wild turkey. After eating that thing I quit hunting them and went back to butter ball!😂

Agreed. I harvested one wild turkey. After eating that thing I quit hunting them and went back to butter ball!😂
I like wild turkey breast. Tends to be dry compared to farmed turkey but I think the flavor is many times better. As for the dark meat, I slow simmer with the carcass bones to make a soup yet even then the dark meat is chewy but the broth is quite good. Those wild turkey legs and thighs are swole!

I like wild turkey breast. Tends to be dry compared to farmed turkey but I think the flavor is many times better. As for the dark meat, I slow simmer with the carcass bones to make a soup yet even then the dark meat is chewy but the broth is quite good. Those wild turkey legs and thighs are swole!
Turkey breast tenders done buffalo wing style solves wild Turkey taste
Problems

I ate lots of audoadad after my hunt. I made a lot of burger and summersausage after finishing the loins. It tastes best when paired with India dishes.

Good info I’m going in January 2022. I’m looking forward to filling the freezer

Back