PEAX Equipment

Ranch or Outfitter for Cow Hunt?

Steiny

OK Guys, I've shot a couple decent bull elk and really don't have much interest in shooting any more, will leave the antlers for you guys. However, I really enjoy elk meat.

Wondering if you had any recommendations for a high success cow hunt that won't break the bank too badly? Ease of getting a tag or a land owner voucher also has to be considered.

Thanks

The Meeteetse area normally has excess or leftover cow Elk tags. Lots of ranches will let you hunt late season for a small acess fee. Meeteetse is a rural ranching community, about 35 miles south of Cody.

The Meeteetse area normally has excess or leftover cow Elk tags. Lots of ranches will let you hunt late season for a small acess fee. Meeteetse is a rural ranching community, about 35 miles south of Cody.

One of the best-The 91 Ranch-cut off all hunting for some reason last fall. That is a great area, but very weather dependent if you are looking for a low country cow. No rough weather equals few cows on the down low. If the cows are there, it can be a great hunt. Always plenty of permits, though.

It was tough there last fall. I talked to a guy that guides for one of the big ranches there and they were really having a hard time. All of the animals were staying on top of Carter.

Elk B tags or Cow permits in MT. breaks units would be a good bet pretty easy to draw and terrain isn't bad tons of public land.

Elk B tags or Cow permits in MT. breaks units would be a good bet pretty easy to draw and terrain isn't bad tons of public land.

Huh? For a non-resident, both of the main breaks units are well under a 50% draw. 0 bonus points gets you 21% odds in 622 and 16% on the south side, assuming that he wants a rifle tag.

Last edited:
There are some great odds for cow permits in the breaks units. OP didn't specify what weapon he would be using. And if you check there are several units with over 87% odds for antlerless tags a few with very good odds for rifle tags also if you check them all. Take a look at 632 rifle few tags but few apply also for cows. I have never had a problem seeing elk in that unit. A cow tag would be a breeze to fill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back