Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Ran out of elevation on my scope

I am not disagreeing, just curious . . . Do savages commonly lack parallelism between the action top and the bore of the barrel to the point that normal scopes, bases and rings can be 12" off at 100y - wow, glad I haven't seen this. I wonder what the frequency is?

I don’t really know the answer, as I’m not a gunsmith. My dad’s model 110 .270 is roughly 30 years old. I was stumped on the issue just like the OP and hated the idea of shimming with a beer can like a gunsmith recommended to me. Talked to another gunsmith locally and he’d seen it before on model 110s of the same vintage and turned me onto the rings with the cam-shaped inserts. “Having seen it before” may or may not mean it’s a widespread issue, but I gave it a try and it’s shot great ever since. YMMV

Also worth pointing out that the rifle shot great for years with a poor-quality scope of the same vintage as the rifle. The issue arose when we put a new Nikon on the old rifle. Maybe the new scope had less elevation range than the old? Dunno, just offering my experience.

A 20 MOA Picatinny rail will help. Maybe your velocity is wayyyy too slow?

Here's a tip I found for returning a scope to its mechanical center.

"Stand the scope vertical, large objective down on a small mirror (makeup type mirror works great). You'll see 2 reticles...the actual reticle and a reflection. Adjust your windage and elevation and you will see the reflected reticle move. Adjust both directions until the reflection is directly over the top of the stationary reticle. You'll be adjusting opposite direction of the movement of the reticle to the mirror. Really cool and easy to do."
This. I've had to do this once or twice. I learned this trick from the folks at Leupold and it works well.

I don't know if this is the answer but Savage has two styles of bases...a rounded and a flat base that are not interchange for the 110. There are also pre and post accutrigger bases depending on the contour of the action.

I don't know if this is the answer but Savage has two styles of bases...a rounded and a flat base that are not interchange for the 110. There are also pre and post accutrigger bases depending on the contour of the action.

A lot of stuff like bases is interchangeable between the Savage 110 and Remington 700. On the Rem 783 both bases are rounded I think. On a 700 and 110 the rear is flat and the front is rounded.

Ok so some more information it is not the bases or the scope. I tried different scope same issue. Different rings with different height. When I put my bore sighter on and try to adjust I still run out of elevation. I am completely lost. I will try the mirror thing though.

I think if I was you I'd just buy a Picatinny rail with 20 or 30 MOA and try that. You can find plenty to pick from on eBay for a reasonable price. At the worst you'll always have plenty of elevation. Another plus is that it shouldn't be necessary to lap your scope rings. A one piece is to be preferred over a 2 piece. Or if the distance between the 2 holes on each base is the same then maybe switch them around first.

https://warnescopemounts.com/20moa-explained/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back