Rain shells

Ozarkshunter95

Looking for a rain shell right now I'm considering the Northridge by kuiu the millerton by northface and the vapor ultralight by north light. Those are the three I've found I'm open to any other suggestions for 250 or less their purpose will be a rain shell Missouri Spring Turkey and Wyoming rifle mule deer and pronghorn

I have been using a raincoat by Plythal I bought on midway USA it has worked it's not really loud like some shells got it for 60-70 bucks

Food for thought on Gore-Tex. Just read this last night. Can't speak to Missouri Turkey, but I'm not sure I've ever worn a rain shell hunting antelope and mule deer in the west, but I always bring one. I'd get one that emphasizes breathability. I have the First Lite vapor stormlight or something like that which fits the bill. Outdoor Research makes good stuff too.

I have the Chugach by KUIU. Awesome.. Lightweight and pack able. Used it in several downpours for hours. 100% dry. Only thing better is the Yukon but its not packable and noisy, but even better. I have both

Ever heard of Frog Toggs? I have a couple sets and have been in some exceedingly nasty Montana spring bear weather with them. They work, very light weight and packable, and cost a fraction of what you're talking about. I don't believe I paid more than $40 for mine. Used to be on Amazon, but I haven't looked for a while.

Check out Tyler Freel's podcast on an epic failure of $1200 gortext rain gear.
https://tundratalkak.com/episode-61-good-rams-and-bad-rain-gear/
The basic problem is gortex may work 99% of the time, but when you really, really need it to perform,
it may fail (windy storms).

Listened to the whole thing... I don't disagree... but I'm also kinda like... 🤷‍♂️

I've posted on probably a dozen threads about rain gear and I also advocate for buying for your specific use.

If you need something for super heavy rain rubberized gear is always the way to go.

Tyler complains about the cost/ performance, the price point comes from the fact that the high-end gore-tex gear is light weight, durable, and breathable not that it is the ultimate waterproof fabric. It's the best waterproof fabric that is light weight and also breathable.

Sitka stormfront is marketed for his use case, so I definitely think he has a valid bone to pick there.

Personally I've hiked in that kind of weather twice, once in Scotland and once in Iceland. In Scotland it was so windy a one point my wife and I though we were going to get blow off a cliff because the wind push us off the trail on accross a flat but grassy field towards the edge of a cliff. Go lay down on a soccer field and imagine how windy it has to be to move you.
Anyway, on that hike my Sitka downpour, and my wifes mountain harware jacket totally failed... both gortex. Same water in your pockets kinda thing.
Similar day in Iceland... my arcteryx jacket held up great... I got wet at my neck, and cuffs from rain blowing in, but was otherwise draw after a 4 hour or so soaking. I think I would have experienced the same thing with rubber gear.

IMHO sitka is good, but it is not the best gore-tex gear on the market. There is a massive difference between the Arc'teryx Alpha SV and the sitka stormfront jackets.

Is all gore-tex crap and totally not worth it for the money, no... it just depends on what you are looking for an how you are going to use it. I have 4 different rain jackets, they are all good for different use cases.

Last edited:
I haven't been in torrential downpour in it yet but I've never been more excited to get pounded by rain rolling onto spring bear season I just picked up some new M5 gear from Stone Glacier. I would say it's comparative to more of the mountaineering/backpacking company products.

I haven't been in torrential downpour in it yet but I've never been more excited to get pounded by rain rolling onto spring bear season I just picked up some new M5 gear from Stone Glacier. I would say it's comparative to more of the mountaineering/backpacking company products.

Have been curious about that jacket... any idea what Hydrashield fabric actually is, I haven't been able to find much on it.

Have been curious about that jacket... any idea what Hydrashield fabric actually is, I haven't been able to find much on it.
What I gather is it's a special woven canvas that is breathable, I guess some high end tents use it for rain flies. Not sure exactly either the way kurt designs things though he does extensive researching and refining on gear before it's ever even tested. It reminds me a lot of the arcteryx gear.

I looked around as well, nada. I wonder if some google work on the MVTR #s might yield info on it by another name. I can’t fathom it’s entirely proprietary.

As other have said there are many different types for you situation. Forestry work in Forks WA in Nov calls for PVC. Elk hunting ID in sept calls for the lightest stuff you can find. I have the NX (something) set from Kuiu, it was their lightest weight. It has some tears, but it's more than worked for the last 6 years for all of my minor needs (western typical big game). It cuts the winds (biggest use) and keeps showers off. No way I'd take it to the coast if I didn't have a way to get dry and warm at the end of every day.

I'll throw a plug in for an OR 3 layer goretext as an all around rain jacket. Not because I think it is significantly better then similar products from Arcterxy Sitka etc. I have just had good experience with their warranty program. I'm not saying destroy it and send it back, but I had one with a faulty zipper and they had a new one in the mail to be me before they even received my old one.

Gore does wet through, and I think I use full length pit zips to vent heat/moisture more then the inherent breathability of the fabric. It will dry on you, though. I live in SE Alaska, I love my grundens/HH, but I'm not climbing a mountain in them. Not that I haven't.

I also try to keep my backpacking raingear pristine. I don't wear it fishing. I don't wear it to grab an arm load of wood when it is pouring out. It stays put away. The difference between new rain gear and frequently used but still in good shape rain gear, is a lot.... unfortunately.

I refused to spend a billion dollars so I picked up a bright orange(rifle season) northface rain jacket that is <1 lb for $85 bucks on clearance. Packs up super small too. Really pleased but haven’t used it yet. For serious rain, I have a set of grundens. But I quickly found out those suck with a pack because they use these little metal buttons to put them together and they put one on the bibs right on your spine. So a loaded pack makes you feel like that button is a knife.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back